Multiple terminal windows

MFB

I am working on a project that uses three bi-directional serial ports and currently use one PC (old laptops) to monitor each using the Editor's terminal facility, but this arrangement is a bit unwieldy and uses a lot of bench space. It would be great if multiple terminal windows could be opened simultaneously to monitor three serial ports on the same PC.

Assuming that there is no way to achieve this using the PICAXE Editor, please does anyone know of a Windows terminal emulator that simultaneously displays activity on three serial ports?

SteveT

Just a guess but would it not be possible to open 3 instances of any terminal prog each pointed to a different port? I don't have windows anymore so can't test it.

MFB

Hi SteveT, I've been unable to get PE to open more than one terminal/port at once. Not surprising because adding this would have involved significant REV ED development work for a feature that few users would want.

Thanks for the link nick12ab. Looks like a useful development tool but the description does not include mention of multiple windows.

Buzby

Putty allows multiple Windows (well at least two anyway) on different Com ports.

Its free.
It can have as many windows as you want.

I've used as many as 24 simultaneous sessions, but obviously not on a PICAXE project !.

lewisg

+1 on PuTTY. Since the newer versions handle serial as well as network connections it has replaced various other $$ software for me.

** Very small footprint, just an EXE.

** Saves session parameters to the Windows Registry for easy transfer to other machines if needed.

** Scrollback buffer can quite large (default 200 lines) and can be copied very easily to the clipboard.

** Display columns and rows can be any size you wish. (Window category in sidebar)

As the author says PuTTY makes Windows work...

MFB

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. It looks like I should start by playing with PuTTY.

srnet

** Saves session parameters to the Windows Registry for easy transfer to other machines if needed.
+ named sessions so you know what they relate to, "AXE027 Front 9600" which is the front USB connection on my PC for the AXE027 running at 9600 baud.

** Scrollback buffer can quite large (default 200 lines) and can be copied very easily to the clipboard.
+ Named log files with date and time stamp, I am running one now called, AXE027_17_135045.LOG, the AXE027 output, started at 13:50:45 on the 17th.

The first line of the file is;

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~= PuTTY log 2013.08.17 13:50:45 =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=