Mouse without Borders

tommo_NZ

I am not too sure where to post this but the Microsoft Utility called "Mouse without Borders" is so worth having a look at. It is a software KVM utility, written by Microsoft coders after hours. I have a machine with dual screens and another with one. Run this utility and the mouse just passes across all 3 as if they were on one machine. The focus follows the mouse so the one keyboard runs both machines, can run up to 4 machines and it's free!
It works on Vista and up to Win 10 and especially on my Win 7 machines.
Perhaps I should explain why I posted this, I use two computers when coding, one has dual monitors and t'other has one. Picaxe editor runs on one of the dual screens and the serial terminal window and other tabs run on the other. I often have Office online running spreadsheets etc on the second computer to do the calculations for my Eeprom data and I then copy and paste to the PicAxe environment. With this utility I only need one keyboard and one mouse to run the lot.
Regards,
Kevin.

Last edited:

techElder

Wow. Potentially this utility could get me to switch my main PC to win10, because my dedicated laptop is win10.

My laptop runs my CNC router but is sitting on the nearby desktop which is irritating to roll over to to load the next file etc. The CNC is visible in the workshop through a window with a small remote keyboard handy.
I’ve got to check this out. Thanks, Kevin!

premelec

Looks interesting - however I'm not understanding what the inter computer connection is - My main machine has no wireless facility [Win7 Dell] - that I know of ;-) - my laptop has wifi - what RF is required? - could be through wired USBs ?

tommo_NZ

Looks interesting - however I'm not understanding what the inter computer connection is - My main machine has no wireless facility [Win7 Dell] - that I know of ;-) - my laptop has wifi - what RF is required? - could be through wired USBs ?
According to the comments I have seen, it works through wifi and wired connection to router, which is what I have. Basically, if your machines are connected to a common network either by wifi or cable then it will find the other machine/s. Install it on one machine and record the password and machine name it generates, install it on 2nd machine and use password and machine name to connect them. It just works.
Regards,
Kevin.
[Edit] I am sure there are paid versions that connect via USB but my character precludes me spending money to try them.

techElder

I just connected two of my PCs with MWoB.

Installed on the first one. It stopped to wait for the second installation.

Installed on the second one. It stopped at the same point waiting for me to add the security password (a long one) and computer name of the first computer. I put those two items in the fields available, the two computers linked to each other and it all just worked.

The first computer is Win7, and the second one is a Win10 laptop.

You simply swing the mouse from one computer to the other. If you are familiar with how the mouse works on a single computer with two monitors, then this operates the same way.

There is also an adjustment you can make on which computer is left or right depending on your physical layout.

My computers are all on the same WiFi linked network. I'll soon have them all back on the wired network.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
It sounds interesting but I haven't tried it. What I find annoying about having multiple monitors is that the mouse can travel off-screen. I have got used to moving the mouse hard right and back a bit to hit scroll bars for browsers and apps which are fully maximised, and can't do with having to move it precisely, not go into the other monitor.

I guess I'm a more traditional KVM user; preferring single screen, keyboard and mouse which switches wholesale between multiple computers.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I'm not understanding what the inter computer connection is ... could be through wired USBs ?
Though a bit rare these days, those PC-to-PC transfer cables with USB plugs at both ends often create a virtual network interface at each end so can provide a network link between PC's which don't have one.

There might be some juggling required to get the two networks bridged so each side can see the other, or network sharing enabled, so the side with USB can access the internet through the PC which has a Wi-Fi or wired connection to the router.

OLDmarty

Yep, this is a great (powerful) program,
I stumbled across it quite some years ago, I'm certain it was waay before microsoft got their paws on it ;-)

oracacle

How does this deal with machines being switched off or not connected. Also what happens when machines concerned had there own keyboard and mouse

tommo_NZ

How does this deal with machines being switched off or not connected. Also what happens when machines concerned had there own keyboard and mouse
That's not a problem, each machine works as normal and as soon as the other is turned on the mouse can then move across to the other computer's screen. Once that happens the cursor for the second machine disappears and you only have one to worry about. It is so well organised that although this happened I didn't even notice it 'till you asked.

techElder

It just works, but remember that you have to see both screens. It is a bit difficult to see across a room to click a button.