Mouse stops when using AXE027 lead

ZOR

I recently bought another wireless mouse as I thought it was faulty. Each time I used my AXE027 lead with the Editor5 my wireless mouse would stop working. Luckily each time I was able to plug in a USB mouse and not lose my work. I have removed and reinstalled my lead but it's still causing the same blocking of the wireless mouse.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate. I looked in my device manager, but cannot see any problems. Any ideas?

AXE027.jpg

neiltechspec

I had similar to that, my GPS based RTC clock setter was outputting sertxd data every second.
The mouse pointer was jumping about the screen at 1 sec intervals, logitech wireless mouse was unusable.
It seems windows saw the AXE027/PICAXE as a mouse.

Solved it by not having the AXE027 connect to any PICAXE chip on Windows boot up.

I still use Editor 5.5.6, cant get on with the newer version 6.xx

Neil

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
When an AXE027 is detected by Windows as a mouse or pointing device, Device Manager will show it as such and the "AXE027 PICAXE USB (COMx)" will disappear; it cannot be both at the same time.

As the AXE027 is there as a COMx device, can presumably still be used to program a PICAXE, it would seem that isn't the case here.

stevesmythe

I have had this happen to me too. When debug is active, I sometimes find my USB mouse jumps all over the place. At this time, another device "Microsoft serial ballpoint mouse" appears in Device Manager (with a yellow flag next to it). It seems it is a Microsoft issue. There are quite a few examples of other people experiencing similar problems with other USB serial devices. e.g. here

Last edited:

ZOR

Thanks both. neiltechspec, I recently did find in my device manager that Windows 7 put my AXE027 into the pointers/mice section, so uninstalled and reinstalled and that seemed ok. However the problem has returned, but it's not listed as a mouse this time. Don't know why it's suddenly started being a problem. I no longer install Microsofts updates following my last computer restore to get rid of the stupid Windows 10 popup.
I just tried booting up with and without lead in but cannot make it fail. Will continue along the lines you found, and don't boot up with lead in.

Goeytex

I have had this issue on several occasions, but not just with AXE027. The registry mod linked to by hippy solved the problem.

ZOR

Thanks everyone. I will go along with hippy's idea/link, that looks by what it says as a fix for the problem. If I don't come back on this again then it's fixed. Regards all.