Motion switch, need suggestions

I am planing to make a wand type POV sign. I would like to use a motion switch on the wand that will cause an interrupt (either high or low on an input pin). I would appreciate suggestions about the type of switches and sources.
I recently made a rotating POV sign with a 28X chip. The sign is rotated with an old RC car motor and the letters start forming when an interrupt occurs (using an IR sensor to cause the interupt).

slurp

Are you trying to detect the direction the wand is being waved or if the wand is moving in general?

regards,
colin

slurp

Have you considered tilt sensors orientated to give an open contact when waved in one direction and closed in the other?

I guess the complex solution might involve an accelerometer!

regards,
Colin

I have an accelerometer but it would be an overkill for this application. A tilt sensor will do fine. Can you suggest a manufacturer and/or supplier?
Thank you for helping
Andres Rodriguez

MFB

A tri-axis accelerometer (eg.MMA7261QT) would be your best bet for this type of application and they are pretty cheap these days.

boriz

Or a piece of springy wire passing through a little hoop. A bit of Ernie Ball standard 0.013 gauge electric guitar string works for me. I used it ‘coz I just happened to have some to hand, but I’m sure anything similar will work.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
A commercial refinement on Boriz's suggestion is used in those balls which flash LED's as you bounce them - A very weak and flexble spring with a weight on one end, the other end connected to the PCB, the contact is a pin running up the centre of the spring.

MFB

DIY

I bet some of you even like rolling your own capacitors using baking foil and greaseproof paper!

BrendanP

Parallax do accelerometers mounted on small 100thou pin break out boards that are easy to interface with picaxe.

gengis

I bet some of you even like rolling your own capacitors using baking foil and greaseproof paper!
Of course. How do you do it?

Keep 3/32" window glass, and sheet polypropylene on stock. Wax paper is iffy.
Aluminum foil for the small stuff and aluminum sheathing for serious high current, HV caps.

First, I want to thank everyone for their suggestions.
Second, I tried Hippy's idea and it works great.
Third, MFB, I have not rolled any capacitors during the last 3 months but now that you remainded me I will start tomorow.