More forum glitches

nick12ab

I didn't want to post this in the Active PICAXE Forum as this isn't an important glitch, but something I wanted to point out anyway.

After this thread was bumped up with a new reply, I noticed the 'deleted by eclectic' post above by a relatively new member who I recall posted links to his commercial site - and posted five times but the moderators only edited three posts and deleted two.

But what happens is if you click on the 'View Forum Posts' link for the member, at the bottom it says "Results 1 to 3 of 5". If you press Reload then it changes to "Results 1 to 3 of 3" but it will be back once a new search is generated. It's not just for this user, the same thing happens for msbates - speaking of which, revisiting that made me notice that that user referred to a moderator as a nazi.

The problem isn't a new thing introduced with the forum upgrade as I took a screen shot of msbates' results page ages ago which shows this problem.

results 1 to 3 of 5.jpg

Presumably the moderators can still read the posts or they see the reason for deletion that normal users can enter when deleting their own posts.

The next glitch is about searching the forum - deleted posts are also searched using the feature so if a deleted post contains content you're searching for, then you won't see it in the thread. It could be possible for a program to be written to perform brute force recovery of deteted posts by searching the forum constantly with a slowly growing string of characters and seeing if the parent thread appears in the results. Of course, I haven't done that.

But a demonstration of this bug can be seen by searching for something 'memorable' from a post that you once saw but has since been deleted. Type 'herpes' into the search box and this is the only thread that comes up - but the word herpes does not show up on the page. It was from Madras' rant on the poorly formatted code and telling them to switch from perl to lisp. I did print screen the post - it was the first reply to the thread (before srnet) - but I'm not uploading it! The text is not present in the source code either, so at least the forum is secure to some extent. Yes I have posted about this before and if you want me to shut up about it then say so.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
speaking of which, revisiting that made me notice that that user referred to a moderator as a nazi.
I'd forgotten about that one. I took it in the spirit of references like "grammar nazis" and the like, some frustration with achieving what was wanted, rather than insult per se.

Presumably the moderators can still read the posts or they see the reason for deletion that normal users can enter when deleting their own posts.
I believe so. There's a means to remove a post so no record of it in the thread but I believe that's limited to Admins rather than all Mods.

Yes I have posted about this before and if you want me to shut up about it then say so.
I can't see a problem with mentioning these issues, but we don't have a lot of control over how the core forum software works.

Paix

Doubtless there is a logical delete flag involved, which isn't handled uniformly in all parts of the software. Life happens :)

westaust55

The "glitch" I keep suffering from (as mentioned previously) is that when I try to "Reply with Quote",
a quick Reply window pops up into which I can type but there is no quote of the previous post being responded to.
I note tonight that the "busy" icon keeps going around seemingly forever beside the "Reply with Quote" button in the post where I clicked to initiate a reply.

westaust55

The "glitch" I keep suffering from (as mentioned previously) is that when I try to "Reply with Quote",
a quick Reply window pops up into which I can type but there is no quote of the previous post being responded to.
I note tonight that the "busy" icon keeps going around seemingly forever beside the "Reply with Quote" button in the post where I clicked to initiate a reply.

Now I just tried to "Reply with Quote" to my own post.
This time I see the text but no quote tags or link to the post beiong replied to is given.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The "glitch" I keep suffering from (as mentioned previously) is that when I try to "Reply with Quote", a quick Reply window pops up into which I can type but there is no quote of the previous post being responded to.
Which browser are you using ? It seems to work okay for me using Firefox and the latest Chrome.

nick12ab

Not posting this in either of the affected threads as it would probably result in those threads going off-topic.

See: This and this.

Eclectic says that my reply hadn't arrived when he moved the thread which will be true (unless there are further forum glitches, or the moderator has to tick a checkbox for each post in a thread that needs moving) because if my post had arrived first then it would have been moved too.

My first post is now #1 in that thread, and the thread has retained its original title. If the 'unless' condition did not cause that then it appears to be possible to resurrect deleted threads that way, just like Hippy did with his 'deleted' test thread. However for normal members there is the difficulty of a message popping up that says 'Invalid Thread Specified...' but it seems possible if the member can save and modify the HTML code of the page when it is displayed for a valid thread and change the thread number accordingly. That would mean that a 'moderator power' has been given to normal users.

westaust55

Which browser are you using ? It seems to work okay for me using Firefox and the latest Chrome.
Sorry hippy, missed the reply at the time (was getting ready to move to new house)

WinXP SP3 with IE8 and believe far less often but occassionally with WinXP SP3 and FF.