Momentary push button to power on, software controlled power down

krypton_john

Hi all,

In another post I mentioned this had been covered here... but I couldn't find anything.

Any reason this would not work:

Connect power to the Picaxe power pin through a momentary action push button, perhaps with a capacitor/resistor to ground. This will power up the picaxe when pressed and held.

Raise a pixaxe output pin, at power-up, activate a FET/darlington/low power relay to connect power to the picaxe power pin in parallel to the push button. This will maintain power when the push button is released.

In software, lower the output pin to power down when required.

Seems simple - any reasons this wouldn't work?

Thanks
JohnO

sghioto

Hi all,

In another post I mentioned this had been covered here... but I couldn't find anything.

Any reason this would not work:

Connect power to the Picaxe power pin through a momentary action push button, perhaps with a capacitor/resistor to ground. This will power up the picaxe when pressed and held.

Raise a pixaxe output pin, at power-up, activate a FET/darlington/low power relay to connect power to the picaxe power pin in parallel to the push button. This will maintain power when the push button is released.

In software, lower the output pin to power down when required.

Seems simple - any reasons this wouldn't work?

Thanks
JohnO
It will work.

boriz

Depending on your application, the whole thing can be simplified using a push-to-break type button. The Picaxe switches itself to low power sleep mode instead of turning off. Pushing the button will re-start the program at the beginning.