MIDI and Windows XP

alpacaman

I have a couple of ideas I'm trying to sort through about making my own musical instruments which basically is a bunch of inputs that would produce a MIDI output - using an 18x and a modified version of hippy's program. I'm on a limited budget and I don't own any MIDI capatible instruments.

I now media player in windows can play midi files. My question is, can I play incoming midi signals, through the usb port, on my pc?

Would I be able to play different voices?

I have a midi to usb interface, M-Audion Uno, to feed the midi signal to my pc.

I've searched the internet and haven't been able to come up with an answer.

I'm really new to the midi concept - so please forgive me.

alpacaman

Yes - I've been reading it with interest. Does not however answer my questions. Plus, I didn't want to ask my questions in the middle of that thread.

How can I email oldjoe directly?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
There should be software for Windows which will do what you want; a good search criteria could be "MIDI Studio" and the like.

alpacaman

For those of you who are interested, here is what I found.

1) Get a MIDI to USB interface and install drivers. I'm using M-Audio's Uno which I picked up for $30 US.

2) Set up MIDI in Control Panel - From the Control Panel open Sounds and Audio Devices; Click on the Audio Tab. Select `Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth` as the default MIDI device. Click on the Volume button and make sure that the SW Synth volume is turned up. I learned to check the volume setting the hard way.

3) Download and install Midi-Ox software. This is freeware. This is a good way to test your MIDI output from your PICAXE as you can see the MIDI code being sent. In the software you can patch your MIDI input to the Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth you set up in step 2. By holding down your Tab key and entering a number between 0 and 127 you can change what instrument simulation your MIDI input will be using. The software isn't too intuitive so you may need to play around with it a little - and reading the help files help. I spent a couple of hours trying to figure out how to change what instrument was being simulated. I finally read the help files.

oldjoe

Answers to alpacaman's questions about MIDI

Hi alpacaman :)

Your questions quoted:
Can I e-mail oldjoe direct?

I now media player in windows can play midi files. My question is, can I play incoming midi signals, through the usb port, on my pc?

Would I be able to play different voices?

I have a midi to usb interface, M-Audion Uno, to feed the midi signal to my pc.

I've searched the internet and haven't been able to come up with an answer.

I'm really new to the midi concept - so please forgive me.
Yes, if you read all of my old thread on my MIDI Project, I stated my e-mail address and you can e-mail me if you have a long question or want program or graphics files that are hard to exchange on the forum.

From reading your post, my understanding of your request is: You want to play an MIDI instrument or several MIDI Instruments through your PC instaintously. You have a MIDI to USB adapter and you want to do it low budget.

oldjoe's first answer: this is not a PICAXE application, it is a PC software thing. If you found the right software package you could do this using only your PC. I use PICAXE over my PC, because: my PC is too big, heavy and too many cables to take to proformances.

Next answer form oldjoe; this is a MIDI Synthizer application problem. Any MIDI Synthizer can do what you want except for the low cost requirement :D A low cost MIDI Synthizer now becomes your request. Suggest you look into doing MIDI Synthizer on a PICAXE, I am looking to try it with a PICAXE-40X1 and staying with the Revolation PICAXE BASIC.

A low cost MIDI SYnthizer using the PICAXE might be possible, although there are a lot of PICAXE users that say it is too slow, ... my answer is that is "back in 1981 I did it with a 4 MHz 6502" (still working), so why not a PICAXE :(

Another low cost MIDI Synthizer is to look to Radio Shack just after Christmas sales! Radio Shack always has MIDI Keyboards on sale at Christmas time for around $100 US. The ones that do not sell get further discounted to around $60 US after Christmas and are sold in a week. At least that is the way they do it at my location Radio Shacks.

The Radio Shack MIDI Keyboards are like any other MIDI Keyboard in many respects. They have both a MIDI Instrument playing out the MIDI Out connector and a built-in Synthizer that will take any MIDI stream in the MIDI In connector and change this MIDI stream into audio on the keyboard's Audio Out connector, also send it to the Keyboard's speakers.

Chaining multiple MIDI Instruments together: that is what the MIDI Thru connector is for. The MIDI Thru connector is required to be a good copy of what is on the MIDI In connector on any MIDI Instrument including the cheap Radio Shack MIDI Keyboard. Remember with MIDI you are creating a LAN, lots of things networked together, connect MIDI INs to MIDI OUTs, if you run out of MIDI OUTs, then use MIDI THRUs ... that is how to do it.

On how good is a cheap MIDI Keyboard from Radio Shack? Play it before you buy it. The thing to look for is the how well the instruments that you are interested in are synthized. Remember there is no music in a MIDI file, a MIDI file is only a set of instructions to the Synthizer on how to make music. So if you want a Guitar, set the cheap Keyboard to Guitar and play ... does it sound like a realistic Guitar? Everytime a MIDI Stream that is playing a Guitar goes to this Keyboard, it will sound this way ... no better.

Another thing to look for in a cheap MIDI Keyboard: usually they do not support the full General MID Spec of Channels, and the channels they support are fixed and not selectable :eek: Read the Keyboard's Manual and look for this. Does it make any difference to your application? Sometimes one can live with this limitation.

Hope that helps a little.

oldjoe

alpacaman

I think my question was mis-understood (or I don't understand the answer).

All I really want to do is play the MIDI signals, coming from a PICAXE, on the PC - that's it. I DON'T want to control MIDI instruments though me PC. Since you can play MIDI files, through Media Player, on the PC there should be a way to do it directly from the USB port. The synthesizer software is on the PC. Media Player is taking the MIDI signals from the MIDI files and playing them - so the synthesizer software is there. It's "just" a matter of how do you send the live MIDI signals to the syntehsizer software.

I'M HAPPY TO REPORT that this week-end I was able to do just that. I DIDN'T have to buy a keyboard. All I have is my PICAXE, PC, an interface cable connecting the two, and freeware. The freeware is Midi-Ox and it takes the incoming MIDI signal and sends it to the synthesizer software. There is a whole lot of other things you can do with it as well - looks very usefull.

Now that I know it's possible I can continue on with my PICAXE project.

If I'm happy with the results of my project I may go out and buy a keyboard. Thanks Oldjoe for your insights on what to look for in a keyboard - I will certainly keep them in mind should I go out and buy one. I just didn't want to buy one until I knew my project would work.

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I may go out and buy a keyboard.
There's the possibility of building your own, PICAXE plus a child's toy keyboard from a thrift shop. It might not be the best MIDI keyboard in the world but it should be a fun project, not too hard to build hardware-wise and fairly cheap. Software would really be scanning the keys looking for presses and releases then sending out Note On and Note Offs. Getting that optimised for speed would be a potential adventure in itself.

You can also add buttons to send Program Change commands so you have control over selecting instrument played without touching the PC.

alpacaman

I had 2 projects in mind when I started this post.

1) Laser Harp - Using laser pointers shining on LDRs. Breaking the beam will play a note.

2) MIDI Theremin - Using a range sensor. Others suggested using an LDR instead of the range sensor. I may try that first since they are considerably cheaper - and easier to get.