microbot resets when plugged in

pleiser

my 20x2 microbot either resets when i plug it in to computer or when i unplug it (I dont know which) in the attached program that measures when it turns and which way when it hits something and debugs to computer. It works fine when I keep it pluged into computer but when I run the program un plugged and plug it in it dosen't work. please help

Attachments

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
We're not clear on what you are trying to do but if you remove the cable the debug screen may get 'out of sync', in this case you should close/reopen the debug window via the PIC menu.

You could also use the read/write commands to save the data in EEPROM.

nick12ab

Just a guess...

Could it be that when the plug is removed the serial in part of the download connector (b) shorts serial out and serial in causing the PICAXE to reset if serial data is being transmitted at the moment the contacts short?

Addition: When nothing's using the serial port the serial in connection (b) measures -10V in relation to both the other connections. If it comes out partway, (c) on the plug now connects to (b) on the socket, part (b) on the plug connects to part (a) on the socket and part (a) on the plug and part (c) on the socket isn't connected to anything. As a result, the low serial out pin of the PICAXE behaves as a ground for the idle voltage and as the ground (c) on the download plug is 10V more than the part (b) on the plug, the PICAXE sees a high signal on Serial In. Right?

Last edited:

nick12ab

Another possibility is use of the DISCONNECT command or adding an old-style intermediate connector with three pins / holes and disconnecting that instead since no connections would be shorted.

My voltage measurements were made on a proper computer RS232 serial port. The AXE027 is logic level so that probably wouldn't cause the same problem.