Megaprocessor - slower than a PIcaxe and a lot bigger

stevesmythe

Megaprocessor - slower than a Picaxe and a lot bigger

I know this is not strictly Picaxe-related but should interest the folks on here. A man in Cambridge has designed and built his own mega-microprocessor using discrete components (including 42,000 transistors, 50,000 resistors and 10,000 LEDs). What an amazing project!

Last edited:

mikeyBoo

Oh no… Anyone who would waste so much of their life on such a pointless project should be whipped (preferably by a hot blonde in a little black teddy).

Buzby

'Build it and they will come.'

The gargantuan effort required to build this device may yet pay off.

Most of the others on the ring look a bit crap, but this one stands out. I could envisage an institution of some kind, like an industrial museum or chip manufacturer, paying a lot for a machine as professionally constructed and attractive as this.

Whatever happens to it, it's put James Newman on the map !.

neiltechspec

Would seem he has too much time to spare & plenty of spare money !

42,000 transistors, 10,000 LEDs & 50,000 resistors, even at bulk prices, how much I wonder ?.

But, it must have been & no doubt still is, a fascinating project.

Neil.

srnet

This is a technical work of art and a brilliant effort.

We dont all have the time, money nor the tallent to complete such a significant project, so envy rules I guess.

eggdweather

IMO there is real technical skill in doing what he does, presumably skills are similar for those who design the very latest CPU's, I am envious that he knows how to do it.