MAX7219 Blank instruction?

premelec

I'm using Westy's sample code for learning about the MAX7219 - I wonder if there is a single instruction than blanks all digits [I've got an 8 digit display].
I'm using this for now:

FOR Idx =1 to 8
Register = Idx ; digit position
Data_7219 = DigBlank ; 15 will blank the digit in code B mode
GOSUB ShiftTo7219
NEXT Idx

Thanks...

PS No I don't want 'Shutdown'... I want to be ready for new single digit inputs...

Last edited:

Pongo

According to the datasheet "The display driver can be programmed while in shutdown mode" and "Typically, it takes less than 250µs for the MAX7219 to leave shutdown mode." so I don't think that would be a limitation.

premelec

pongo - Thanks for your suggestion but that's not what I'm trying to do - I'm trying to set all digits off - erased in effect. I guess they must be erased one by one only... shutdown keeps them all off - or keeps the data in registers & off.

Pongo

OK, sorry, I misunderstood. So you want to have a period between displaying values when nothing is displayed - is that right?

premelec

Clarify...

Well, sort of - I don't want anything showing - but _will_ show when written to... so blank all with '15' then write whatever later... The code above works ok I just wondered if there wasn't a single command like the shutdown that would write the '15' to all digits... no big deal - I'm just getting to know the chip. So many ways to do things.... :) - I haven't looked into the current draw with all digits blanked compared to shutdown etc... that will also be of interest... thanks for your input...

Pongo

No, as far as I know if you want to "display" 8 blanks you'll have to write 8 blanks. If you are concerned about seeing the display writing the digits one by one then in my experience using a 20x2 that's not an issue, but you could use shutdown to blank them all and then write the blanks and next data before turning it back on.

John West

Have you tried opening up the current set resistor line? If that works you might use a FET SW and a spare PICAXE control line to speed up turn on and turn off of everything at once.

You might also try a write to the brightness register to see if the minimum value appears to be "off" under normal light levels.