Making input pins output

CLUELESS1

I have a Picaxe 20M2 where I fitted pullup 10k resistors to some pins as I wanted to use them as inputs. However I now want to use them as outputs. My question is do I have to remove the resistors. Thanks

westaust55

I have a Picaxe 20M2 where I fitted pullup 10k resistors to some pins as I wanted to use them as inputs. However I now want to use them as outputs. My question is do I have to remove the resistors. Thanks
It will depend upon what you are trying to control on the outputs. More informaiton on any specific circuit would be helpful.

If you are say driving an LED directly then when the output is low a very small current will flow through the resistor but do no harm.

If you are driving a transistor to control a larger load/current then again normally no problem, however remember that when the PICAXE is first energized the pins are all inputs (until you change the pin to an output) and the resistor will pull the transistor base high and allow current to flow through the load. May not be enough current through the load for say a motor to run but . . .

CLUELESS1

Many thanks. The outputs I want on a 20M2 are C.0, C.1, C.2, C.3, C.4, C.5.
I don't know which way the Picaxe would wake up. In the pin diagram OUTPUT is mentioned before INPUT, don't know if that's a clue.

I intend to put the outputs into relay driver transistors or maybe a darlington.

Thanks again