Making Dippy's life easier

BeanieBots

Second link down...
I make my own cheap mosfets too
Blimey, he must have some serious kit in his hobby box.
Wonder if he grows his own silcon crystals or just buys them in.
Hate to think what his electric bill is like. The last time we ran up 16 lines, it took out the local sub-station. (oh.. no.. that wasn't us.. honest..:eek:).

Despite being in the industry for over 25 years, the closest I ever got to making a semiconductor at home was making a single PN junction from a germanium crystal in a lump of coal and a 'cat's wisker' point contact.

Bet you've done that too Rick?

demonicpicaxeguy

Second link down...

Blimey, he must have some serious kit in his hobby box.
Wonder if he grows his own silcon crystals or just buys them in.
Hate to think what his electric bill is like. The last time we ran up 16 lines, it took out the local sub-station. (oh.. no.. that wasn't us.. honest..:eek:).

Despite being in the industry for over 25 years, the closest I ever got to making a semiconductor at home was making a single PN junction from a germanium crystal in a lump of coal and a 'cat's wisker' point contact.

Bet you've done that too Rick?
you'd think by now the Diy Semiconductors would be possible and done by quite a few hobbyists,heck you can get the silicon through Alibaba, as you know miniturising the whole process would probably be a little difficult but not impossible and i imagine an instructable might pop up soon...

having thought long and hard about it, you've only got to heat the silicon to a mere 1400 degrees c give or take a few hundred and keep it at that while you slowly rotate and withdraw your seed crystal in the pool of motlen silicon (keep the kids away from that),
polishing the wafers could probably be done with a modified drill press and a buffing pad (i have no idea how you could slice them up)

then you have the whole lithgraphic process to go through anyone got any diy ideas on that?

westaust55

And if you want to confine your search to say the Rev Ed PICAXE forum then just say so in your google search:

picaxe connections site:www.picaxeforum.co.uk

this also comes in hand when searching for those 3 letter words on the forum

Silicon metal is easy to "make".

I have designed and built the electrical portion of 6 off 18MW submerged arc electric furnaces over the past 20 years and about to work on the design for a new 24MW furnace.
take some quartz rock, woodchips, charcoal, pet coke, and lots of heat via typically three 1200mm diameter carbon electrodes each handling 80,000 Amperes at around 240 volts and voila . . . . . silicon metal in a couple of hours :eek:

demonicpicaxeguy

And if you want to confine your search to say the Rev Ed PICAXE forum then just say so in your google search:

<B>
picaxe connections site:www.picaxeforum.co.uk
</B>

this also comes in hand when searching for those 3 letter words on the forum

Silicon metal is easy to "make".

I have designed and built the electrical portion of 6 off 18MW submerged arc electric furnaces over the past 20 years and about to work on the design for a new 24MW furnace.
take some quartz rock, woodchips, charcoal, pet coke, and lots of heat via typically three 1200mm diameter carbon electrodes each handling 80,000 Amperes at around 240 volts and voila . . . . . silicon metal in a couple of hours :eek:
think of how quick you could do marshmellow.....

where do they get the power for this surely they must build these things near a power station, 24MW isn't exactly a small amount of power, and it's not like you'd have that availble to every part of the grid either, reminds me of somthing on hackday "diy fusion power"

westaust55

think of how quick you could do marshmellow.....

where do they get the power for this. Surely they must build these things near a power station, 24MW isn't exactly a small amount of power, and it's not like you'd have that availble to every part of the grid either, reminds me of somthing on hackday "diy fusion power"
In the case of electric furnaces, yes they are generally “near” power stations – well within about 50km.

I have worked on other project with some other rather large loads as well where they have had to generate the power on the site. 20MW motors at an LNG plant for compressors - but there is plenty of gas nearby for power.

Erecting motors with ratings like 15MW (yes, that is 15,0000kW) and 400+ tonnes each, in the Great Sandy Desert (in West Aust) and then having to build a 400km gas pipeline plus a suitable gas fired power station can put a new perspective on a project.

Talking of power supplies, on the market now (based on submarine technology) are package nuclear powered generators in sizes as small as 10MW that are virtually a complete package delivered on a semi (articulated)truck.

Dippy

Thanks Rick, I had seen that before. I think it got posted when I moaned about Google a couple of years ago ;)

Sounds like Westy likes his Big Boy's Toys :)

Years ago I did a little bit of work on sub PWRs - quite impressive engineering. (Nuclear I mean, electrical stuff is 'old hat').

I think if you could get (free of charge) the power pack used in Astute subs then you (and hundreds of your neighbours) wouldn't bother with solar power for quite a few years.

There, that should give you a chance to Google. Though some people will know it all already I'm sure.

Fusion, however, is a little trickier. Whoever cracks that will make a fortune.

Dippy

Blimey!
So the might and power of Europe and USA's best physicists, engineers and accountants can't crack the fusion confusion.
But some Kiwi does it in his bathroom with a roll of #8 wire?
That's what I call entrepreneurship at it's greatest :)

He'd make so much money that he could pay Bill Gates to mow his lawn.

Oh, I get it, haha - the old fusion reactor / sun gag..... ;)

( That gag is almost as old as the physicists who don't use a spoon to stir their tea.. oh yes, they just let Brownian motion do it for them. . Actually it was discovered by a Mr Ian Brown-Motion who also invented Immodium)