Low Current DC Motor

DavidGw

I bought several of these motors from Electronics Goldmine (USA) and was surprised to find they only pull 5 mA (no mechanical load on the motor shaft) at 5 volts.

They are currently on sale for $0.99 each.

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G4453
<A href='http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G4453' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>

Dave

Ralpht

As a thought, small low current high torque brushless, sealed motors can also be obtained &quot;reasonably&quot; cheaply from model train hobby stores. I used Sagami and Mashima ones, the smallest available and whilst they are not $0.99c - approx $10-12AUD, they are very low current even when stalled- 100mA max stalled current, won't burn out easily, and to me worth their weight in Gold. I have seen them as low as $4.00 AUD at times. They will last forever and produce almost no electrical noise and are nearly dead quiet. Many sizes are available at varying prices.
Worth looking out for!

DavidGw

Hi Stan,

Took me a while to find my tachometer. Here are the figures. Note that in order to measure the RPM I had to fit a &quot;propellor&quot; to the shaft - actually a Haagen Dasz ice cream bar stick ... :). This no doubt changes the RPM as it gives the motor a load. It does change the current.

1.5 volts = 750 rpm (5 mA draw with &quot;propellor&quot;)
4.5 volts = 2350 rpm (16 mA draw with &quot;propellor&quot;)

Dave

Edited by - noesisdg on 18/05/2007 14:28:34

manuka

Thanks for data! This alert is very timely as the classic Dick Smith &quot;solar motor&quot; we've used here for some years has become elusive. It also draws 30mA unloaded at ~1V, but is slow spinning. Can you let me know the approx slowest RPM this motor has at ~1V? Applications abound with such a motor. I'd NOT normally consider it feasible, but a direct Picaxe drive may even be possible via perhaps a series resistor. A PV from a hacked solar garden lamp,usually giving 2V at 30mA in bright sun, may be all one needs for driving a motor &amp; an LED etc.

EXTRA: I've just been in touch with the US firm mentioned &amp; am considering a bulk order (100 up?). Anyone &quot;down under&quot; want to join in ? Of course I'd really like a sample first, but the firm has declined. Stan

Edited by - manuka on 19/05/2007 00:50:16

DavidGw

Stan,

I did a quick experimental hookup with a 220 ohm resistor in series with the motor on 5 volts. It runs fine, pulling 5 mA with no load on the motor shaft. Voltage across the motor is 4 volts, so figure it is doing at least 2000 rpm. So that would be perfectly safe for a direct interface to any PICAXE.

Dave