Logicator install message

TerryRy

I have had to remove and then re-install Logicator due to false positives with AVG anti-virus software. I have done this several times as Logicator.exe is often quarantined by AVG even when it is in the AVG exclude list.

On trying to do a fresh re-install I now get the message as attached and the installation does not proceed. Where would the msi file be located?

Attachments

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I would guess this is something to do with AVG, perhaps removing the MSI the installer extracts before the installer comes to use it; there's no reason the installer would be looking in the wrong place for any MSI it has extracted.

It's best IMO to disable AVG when installing, make sure there are no Logicator components quarantined and that Logicator is excluded from AV checking. Particularly make sure you don't have automatically heal, quarantine or delete enabled as that can result in odd behaviour

TerryRy

Thanks hippy and nick12ab for your comments.

I have disabled the AVG and tried an install by 2 methods.

1. Trying to install straight from nic12ab zipped files, I get the new message indicating that the product is already installed and to un-install it first (see attachment). From the Control Panel this cannot be done and the original message about not locating the msi file comes up.
  2. Installing from the exe (with AVG disabled) produces the same original message about not locating the msi file.

I think that this has to do with what AVG has done to "protect" me from the Logicator Virus!

Any further suggestions gentlemen?

Attachments

nick12ab

1. Trying to install straight from nic12ab zipped files, I get the new message indicating that the product is already installed and to un-install it first (see attachment). From the Control Panel this cannot be done and the original message about not locating the msi file comes up.
  1. Extract the msi file that you downloaded to somewhere like My Documents
  2. When the {un}installer asks for the msi file, browse for the msi file you just extracted
Tell me how you got on.

TerryRy

I ran the Microsoft tool and it was able to de-install Logicator. I think there was a corruption in registry. Turning off AVG allows Logicator to install direct from lgc001.exe

What I have found however is that the exceptions that you create in AVG are not used for trojans so this is the reason why Logicator goes missing at different times.

"These exceptions can be used for "Potentially unwanted programs" only. If you set the exception for a viral file (Trojan horse, I-Worm, Worm, W32...), this file will be still detected by AVG tests and the AVG Resident Shield.

Has there been any progress in having Logicator not coming up as a false positive?

Thanks for your help guys.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
If AVG has quarantined the MSI it may be possible to get AVG to put it back where it was to let the uninstall work.

It may be worth physically disconnecting from the internet, uninstalling AVG, installing Logicator, re-installing AVG, and re-configuring AVG before trying to launch Logicator.

Logicator is normally placed in the following directory -

C:\Program Files\Revolution Education\Logicator for PIC micros

If not getting anywhere, consider removing / renaming that directory, uninstalling and/or installing again.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Has there been any progress in having Logicator not coming up as a false positive?
AVG were informed of their false positive some time ago and there's not a lot more we can do. We will however report the issue again.

AVG does seem prone to throwing up false positives; I have had a number of my own created programs flagged as viruses and since a month or so ago it's reporting my system has been root-kitted when that's actually a legitimate software firewall that's been in place for a long time.

The golden rule IMO is to never let any anti-virus software take any automatic action when it thinks it has identified a problem. Allowing automatic actions so can have it rip the carpet out from under your feet, even potentially prevent a system from being accessible without a re-install.

And, of course, always make sure you have backups of your files and data in case anti-virus software, or something else, does trash the system.

TerryRy

Thanks for your help hippy.

I have made sure that AVG asks before removing a 'threat'. In the past it has been easy to simply run the install or repair of Logicator if I found that the exe was missing.

My problems seem to have got a lot worse a few weeks ago when I found strange behaviour when trying to run another program (Express PCB). This would bring up a dialogue something like cannot find Logicator.exe for 3 times before opening Express PCB. This seemed so strange I didn't know where to start to look for the problem although I now think AVG had a finger in it.

chan108

I had a problem installing Logicator when AVG refused access to the .exe file and even deleted it.. What I did was to completely uninstall Logicator, then disable AVG with temporary suspension (options- advanced settings menu) about 15 min is enough.Then install Logicator making sure you have correct Microsoft .net installed. Go back to AVG and go to Exceptions in advanced settings menu and direct the browse menu to installed folder and the .exe file, click ok and its done! Finally restore AVG full functionality. Works for me!