Logicator editor issues!

BruceABT

Logicator editor issues,
Seems the Logicator that 'we pay for' is as 'buggy' as the previous flowchart editor!

Using latest Logicator 3.6.3 on XPSP3, Pentium 1.7ghz, 2G RAM 80Gig HD. Ok. thats my laptop.

1. Do you relize that every time I use Logicator,
1.1 An Internet explorer is opened, and when Logicator is closed, IE(in my case 8) Stays open?
1.2 And so, if one closes Ligicator and then Opens Logicator again, you guessed it, Another IE8 is stuck running on my system.
I take it this is NOT delibrate? I originally noticed this some time ago, but thought it was related to opening help inside Logicator
via your web site?
Don't believe me? Give it a try, but NOT with XP task manager. It is not noticeable here.
Using procexp.exe from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653 you can see this happening and re happening.
2. If one uses the LCD simulation with 'more than one' [A], eg [A] etc, or combination there of, only one or perhaps two of these
actually reads the data that belongs to the correct variable. It gets totally confused once behond 2 variables, particulary on second
LCD line of screen.
3. The Zoom feature for the whole editor either crashes the program being used (along with the editor) or bits of text in there
shapes get croped out, unreadable.
4. Talking about vanishing, try (I found by mistake) moving a object, comment or whatever command to behond the grid screen! Yeow!
its gone! Vanished! Very bad for students don't you think! This one has been around for some time. Why not just drop it on the edge
of the grid, given that most persons were aiming for 'that last grid spot' anyway?
5. In attachment. At some point Logicator has lost the plot and thinks it cannot go behond a given cell? I was adding
a second colum of data and went to simulate, only to see the simulation go in another direction! Um, I got to start again! What has
caused this? Please Explain?
6. Somtimes when 'moving cells', the editor adds a new coulm, horizontal and 'extends the lines' in the new cells. Once this has happened, cells get copied over other cells, however the new ones become blank, even though data still exists in them! You can tell these 'are not actually blank' because on clicking on them, they go light blue. If you the 'drag the hidden blue cell', guess what, they reappair! (excuse my poor spelling) This is VERY BAD!

New features are great, but they also need to function, um, actually work!
I got more, but not time to type them.
Regards. Bruce.

Attachments

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Bugs, errors and oversights are an unfortunate reality for almost all software. We obviously try to avoid all those and where they do occur we apologise and seek to investigate and resolve those issues as we will here.

With only a brief investigation the launching IE issue is not as far as I can tell a direct act by Logicator but a Microsoft feature when using the .Net framework. Although identified as IE through process explorer IE technology is an integral part of Windows providing rendering functions and so on. What is being seen may not be an IE browser per se but just the necessary bridge between a .Net app and Windows. This would explain why it's in the list of processes but not in the task list. Process explorer showed IE being removed when I terminated Logicator so it remaining behind and multiple occurrences may be by design, a result of caching, system or configuration differences. I haven't investigated that so really don't know.

Process explorer crashed with a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) for me the second time I tried to launch it, so I recommend any important work is saved before using it.

nick12ab

This one's been there for quite a while too.
2. If one uses the LCD simulation with 'more than one' [A], eg [A] etc, or combination there of, only one or perhaps two of these
actually reads the data that belongs to the correct variable. It gets totally confused once behond 2 variables, particulary on second
LCD line of screen.

BruceABT

BSOD reason

Bugs, errors and oversights are an unfortunate reality for almost all software. We obviously try to avoid all those and where they do occur we apologise and seek to investigate and resolve those issues as we will here.

With only a brief investigation the launching IE issue is not as far as I can tell a direct act by Logicator but a Microsoft feature when using the .Net framework. Although identified as IE through process explorer IE technology is an integral part of Windows providing rendering functions and so on. What is being seen may not be an IE browser per se but just the necessary bridge between a .Net app and Windows. This would explain why it's in the list of processes but not in the task list. Process explorer showed IE being removed when I terminated Logicator so it remaining behind and multiple occurrences may be by design, a result of caching, system or configuration differences. I haven't investigated that so really don't know.

Process explorer crashed with a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) for me the second time I tried to launch it, so I recommend any important work is saved before using it.
This is a sign of incorrect system drivers running via your windows operating system. I use this process explorer on many varied machines. It never gives BSOD, ever, unless hardware or as mentioned exists. Some utilities via same suite of software can crash your PC, but this one is basic compared to others. Either way, you BSOD should not be happening with this one. Is a sign of a more serious problem. Perhaps RAM fault? Don't laugh, I seen and found PCs that actually have damaged RAM and still run! They just hickup here and there for no reason? Use microsoft RAM test, run seperately from say CD. Sorts the man from the boys. B.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
5. In attachment. At some point Logicator has lost the plot and thinks it cannot go behond a given cell? I was adding a second colum of data and went to simulate, only to see the simulation go in another direction! Um, I got to start again! What has caused this? Please Explain?
This is a mismatch between how many columns are in the flowchart and how many columns the simulator thinks there are; as simulation progresses it thinks it has hit a wall and does not continue as would be expected.

This will mostly affect wider flowcharts, will be fixed in due course, and a workaround at present is to use menu Options -> Grid Size... and increase the number of Grid Columns. A number of 27 seemed to work with the flowchart you attached.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
3.6.4 patch is now available to resolve the IE and column derived issues.
The '2 variables per LCD line' is a Logicator restriction based upon the internal use of the bintoascii command and the number of spare variables available. However a warning msg is now displayed if you attempt to use more than 2 variables per line. To display more variables it would be better to use multiple dedicated 'serout' cells (or a 'BASIC' cell) than use the 'LCD' cell.

BruceABT

Thank you to those who corrected these issues and their promptness. This insured the project functioned on time. Much appreciated.
Regards. Bruce.