Loading EEPROM data

I'm progressing with the idea described on 'Selective powering of modules', but have encountered another potential snag.

The idea I have in mind requires storage of about 8-12k of static text (message) data. This is beyond the capabilities of a sole PICAXE (yes?), so I've looked at the EEPROM threads. It seems that people have had issues with loading EEPROMs via a PICAXE, and I wondered whether anyone might have solved this, maybe with an editor Wizard?

Another idea is maybe to start with an AXE110 kit and program it.

Ideas welcome.

rs2845

I've made a full programmer app to fill 3x 24LC512 EEPROMs attached to a Picaxe.

Essentially a VB program loads the text file, then sends 64 chars of it at a time to the Picaxe which then sends it through to the eeprom chip.

I'll dig the source code out. It's been a few years since I made this.

I've made a full programmer app to fill 3x 24LC512 EEPROMs attached to a Picaxe.

Essentially a VB program loads the text file, then sends 64 chars of it at a time to the Picaxe which then sends it through to the eeprom chip.

I'll dig the source code out. It's been a few years since I made this.
That would be a terrific help - thanks.

I've now done a lot more reading around I2C, RTCs and PICAXE generally, and this project is now looking entirely do-able using the AXE110 board (as it has an EEPROM) but with an off-board DS3231 or Chronodot and new code. I will get hold of the hardware in the next week or two, other commitments permitting.

I would be most grateful for your EEPROM loader code if you're happy to share; it would save me a load of work (and my VB is very weak!).

Thanks for that. However, having looked at the thread you mentioned, I think rs2845's app sounds better for my application. I'm not at all versed in Windows or LUA programming (mostly Mac here), but can manage VB.

rs2845

@Baker Steve, I am going to send you the code which was my first version. It's since changed and become more complex for my end requirements.

Picaxe X2 code, VB program (source and Release version) and a text file to upload for testing.

To anyone else interested, I am able to supply the code but I am not responsible if I make any of your circuits go bang!! That's why I am not posting the files publicly.

lbenson

rs2845,

I'd certainly like to see your VB & X2 code. Surely a "Use At Your Own Risk" disclaimer would suffice (and provide more protection than a million other code postings on the web have).