limitations of serin with a 28x, jeremy?

toxicmouse

jeremy leach recently mentioned a limitation of the 28x where under some condition serin could not be used. this limitation was not in the manual. does anybody know what it was? unfortunately i can't find it in search and can't get hold of a 28x for some time to try it out for a design i am busy with now.

thanks.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
TerryBarnaby identified an issue with the 28X1 that receiving serial data after issuing a HSERSETUP appears to alter PWMOUT settings.

therowes has a problem using high speed serial in conjunction with HI2C.

southernbob noted that SERVO stops background processing when TUNE or PLAY execute on a 14M, and someone else reported SEROUT problems on anything other than Pin 0.

Not sure what issues Jeremy encountered, if any.

Where there are design issues - SERVO must stop while SERIN executes - which create limitations - SERIN cannot be used if you want SERVO to keep running glitch free - these are normally identified in the manual, or should be. Occasionally things will get missed out but hopefully updated later.

For unexpected behaviour, they can only be classed as bugs or limitations after investigation by Rev-Ed, then fixed or documented later.

It would be nice to have a detailed list of known bugs and missing functionality in various firmware versions. The only thing available at present is <i>firmware.txt </i> and that requires a some guesswork to determine what a particular version did not do with respect to what the manuals describe.

Jeremy Leach

Hi

I had an issue relating to i2C and the picaxe resetting, but that was traced to ...me ! (must have EEPROM device connected etc).

I've not had any serin issues. My project is working fine with 28X1. I've had questions about using @ptrinc, background reception, how long can the Serin command be, and what pins you can/can't use for Serin ... but they've all been answered.

Edited by - jeremy leach on 23/07/2007 16:38:34

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I recall there may have also been an issue with default timeouts with SERIN/HSERIN.

I suppose it would help if people raising issues which don't appear to be simple 'user error' after initial investigation could post a brief synopsis in the Software Feedback forum with a link to the longer discussions which appear here.

Maybe we need an 'Issue Tracking' Forum which could have identified issues listed with workrounds and solutions. Maybe anyone could initiate a topic there but only Technical can reply because it would suffer if it became a discussion forum. Allowing a simple link to discussion elsewhere to be posted would be reasonable, especially for potential workrounds which would entail discussion.

At the moment it's hard to recall what issues there are outstanding but only fair to let customers know what those issues are. I'm holding off buying 14M's until the SEROUT issue is resolved, and to save P&amp;P that means my whole order is on hold. Issue tracking would help customers and Rev-Ed.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
On the 14M, version 9.A there were issues with reading multiple variables, reading bit variables and something to do with 4800 baud. Those were fixed in 9.B.

The issue with 9.B is SEROUT may only be working on Pin 0 - <A href='http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe/forum/topic.asp?topic_id=7455&amp;forum_id=31&amp;Topic_Title=Serout+on+14M+V9%2EB&amp;forum_title=PICAXE+Forum&amp;M=False&amp;S=True' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>