LED Segment

Is anybody familier with this?

I ripped it out of a old alarm clock and thought it was pretty cool
It has ES-6052S on the front face left side, 94HB on the front face right side, and ES-6052L-SH on the back. I googled everything and couldnt find anything about it
Ive never used a LED segment thing so i wouldnt know how to use one

Last edited:

westaust55

Exactly how old was the clock it came from.
Highly likely you may not find any data after many years.

Based upon the number of connections (22) used relative to the number of LED segments is likely to be a multiplexed display.
7 connections for the segments of the digits and 4 more connections for the common side of each digit ( = wires).
leaving 6 other LED segments as various dots.

It should be relatively easy with a multimeter to ascertain what pins relate to each LED segment and draw up a schematic diagram.

EDIT:
Ah the subsequently loaded "better" photo has the red wire which seems to be for the +V supply which may or not be 5V.

Last edited:
Its only like a year or so old so it isnt very old at all
I dont own a multimeter :(

EDIT: Would randomly running 5v through the pins by any chance damage it? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Svejk

1. buy a multimeter.
2. set it for diode measurements
3. probe each line with the black proble to "-" and the red to pins.

The segment might light up.

Randomly running 5V might or might not damage it.

PS: When you get out to buy the multimeter buy a soldering iron as well.

Haku

Based upon the number of connections (22) used relative to the number of LED segments is likely to be a multiplexed display.
7 connections for the segments of the digits and 4 more connections for the common side of each digit ( = wires).
leaving 6 other LED segments as various dots.

It should be relatively easy with a multimeter to ascertain what pins relate to each LED segment and draw up a schematic diagram.
I've never seen an LED alarm clock which doesn't use a multiplexed display.

One quick way I find out the polarity an LED is by using a 3v coin cell battery, high enough voltage to light even white/blue LEDs yet not enough ampage output to burn out an LED.

westaust55

The LED's have a forward volt drop typically of the order of 2 volts and no internal curent limitation.
I would recommend adding say a minimum of 330 Ohm resistor in series with the supply before using a 5V supply for analysis.
That will limit the current to around 10 mA.

Since the initial photo diod not include a red wire but the "better" repalcement photo does, I suspect angeljruiz may already have a soldering iron

westaust55

I ended up throwing it away, thanks for your advice tho :)
Im not sure how to delete this thread :eek:
we do not in general delete our threads here on the PICAXE forum. Any information may later ultimately be of help for others when a simialr topic arises.

Moderators generally only delete threads which are SPAM, contain advertising or include foul language.

Well i started randomly running 5v on each pin and after awhile they stopped lighting up, so then i opened it up gave it a quick look then threw it away :p

inglewoodpete

I've never seen an LED alarm clock which doesn't use a multiplexed display.
I have: I bought one in the 1970s. I'm showing my age, I know. The reason I liked it was that it did not interfere with other stuff. The careless design of many multiplexed displays and their drivers causes whining and heterodyning in audio equipment.