LCD hook up

craig008

at this currnet time i am in the proccess of ordering an LCD module and was wondering soe things in the proccess. in my circuit i have the LCD connected to the serout pin (pin6) on a 28x, now yes as yoou cna see this may cause some conflict and was just wndering would it be best to have a switch to allow my to swith between programing and the LCD. ithink it should be ok but looking for some confirmation or be aware of magic smoke warnings, non downloading ETC

another question is would it be a good idea to tie the serial linefor the LCD high with a 4k7 resistor as with other serial comms, I2C and DS18B20
________
Chrysler 300 non-letter series

Last edited:

Dippy

I can only comment on your resistor question; no, for your standard serial, you don't need a resistor as o/p is hi-low.
You only need a resistor on I2C stuff as things like RTCs are open drain and need to be pulled up to get a digital high (man). Whilst it is 'serial' it shouldn't be confused with the other serial.

BeanieBots

I'd put the switch in.
Whilst it should not be possible to actually damage the LCD with any 'dodgy' serial data, the download signals will undoutedly confuse it. I have had occaisions when corrupt data on the serial line has caused the LCD to lockup and recovery was only possible with a power cycle.