LCD 1602 driven by PICAXE 20x2 and DS3231SN

marks

Its easy to get side tracked but i guess while the idea floating best to write some code
before all is forgotten everyone probaly had enuff already lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqLpcA3RDjE

The first line displays the time with seconds and date which cycles arround.
On the second line we display a message and also the temperature from the
ds3231sn which surprisingly seems to be just as good as a ds18b20
but the range is from minus 40 degress to plus 85 degrees Celsius.

we program the date and time in the usual way
holding the pushbutton takes us through the process.
push to select and hold to save
and when the final minute has been entered and released
the ds3231 will be programed.

Attachments

Last edited:

klyx

Hello, i want to try this clock but unfortunately i don't have DS3231 but some DS1307 lying around. Can i use DS1307 as drop in replacement for DS3231 instead ? Which part of your program has to be changed ?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

marks

Hi klyx,
you can try this code it should work with the ds1307 to set and retrieve time
however it reads temperature from the ds3231,that part wont you'll see funny results there lol!

you could add a ds18b20 to read temperature and some slight changes to the convert code

or perhaps get a ds3232 which uses the same code these look good i think i'll get one
http://www.futurlec.com/Mini_DS3232.shtml

klyx

Hi Marks,

I'll try DS1307+DS18B20 first and modify your code (and posting in User Projects with your permission obviously). I'm new to PICAXE actually and got my first chip from tech-supplies a couple of week ago. Thanks for the link just interested to DS3232 :)

Cheers,

Mike F

PS: Sorry for my english

Last edited:

marks

Hi klyx,
A bit late but Welcome to the forum, hopefully we're all here to share and learn ! lol.

The picaxe 20x2 is my favorite a great choice to start with.
I find the supply to be the most important part of any project
and always use a 0.1uf polyesterfilm and 47uf tantalum capacitors for the 20x2 minimium
as we add major devices we should add to this.

Another variation could be to use 4bit lcd code #26 has an example
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?19474-Learning-to-Drive-an-LCD-DISPLAY/page3

klyx

Hi Mark,

Nice tip, the 0.1uF for de-coupling caps i guess ?
i'm using standard ceramic ones but i'll search polyesterfilm and tantalum caps on local store, may be ordering some from futurlec.
i'm new to microcontroller too just start learning avr and build one minimum system with arduino bootloader on breadboard 6 months a go and decided to learn another populer MCU (PIC) and suddenly google throwing me to picaxe.com (LoL) .... BASIC !!! hmmm, why not ? choosing 20X2 based on price consideration (hahah!!).
I have some basic experience with discrete component since i was a teenager but i know it doesn't much, from this forum i know a little bit about de-coupling caps and why it needed.

So, lets the lesson begin :)

Sincerely,

Mike F

PS: Nice example regarding 4bit LCD, mine also from ebay but i don't know the correct backlight voltage so i decided to use potentiometer as voltage divider on backlight LEDs and VEE

Last edited: