L293D Motor Driver with CHI-035 Power Issue

Xorius

Hi all,

I just recently purchased the PIC-18X high power board couple with the L293D Motor Driver for a mini project of mine.

There's a piece of documentation that has me quite confused:

On the documentation of the CHI-035, it says that I can place an additional 12V source to power the outputs.

However, just below that it states that 'only a single 4.5-6V supply should be used with the motor outputs'.

Therefore, if I were to use a 12V source, would I fry the L293D chip?

And if this is the case, is there a way for me to use a 12V source to power my outputs (in this case being a pair of motors and a silanoid)?

BCJKiwi

Study Page 2 of the CHI30/35 document - It details how to set up dual supplies on the second half of that page.

Xorius

That is where my little problem lies. I probably didn't make it clear but the 12V supply I'm referring to is the second power supply.

I have cut off the resistor listed on the page, but am hesitant whether to put a 6 or 12V power supply to the second source.

Would it fry the motor driver chip if I used a 12V source?

BCJKiwi

I understood the point re 12V the first time. Have used this board with a 12V SLA Battery supplying the load side.

Why not google the part (like I did) and this will give you the answer you need;
Here is the link to make it a little easier for you;
http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/l293d.html

You will see the part is 36V capable.

Unless your board is very old (V2), then the two parts of the board (PICAXE and logic etc) vs (Power - L293D etc) are separated (V3) and only linked by R9, as noted at the top of Appendix D, page 8 which gives the circuit diagram.

Removing R9 provides the separation so 5V Max can be applied to the PICAXE side (V1), and 12v applied to the Load side (V2). Note the G or Ground connections must be linked (they already are on the board unless it's been tampered with). Also note the documentation is old - 6V is incorrect, 5 Volt is max for the PICAXE!

Last edited:

Xorius

Thank you very much for your help :). I'm sorry if I sounded somewhat rude in my reply but it was much appreciated.

Never thought of googling the part thought, should really have thought of that first :(.

Again, the help is appreciated!

BCJKiwi

It's always better to be safe than sorry, so keep asking when you need to!
Also note the documentation is old - 6V is incorrect, 5 Volt is max for the PICAXE!