L293D driving MOSFETS

D n T

Plan: To use an L293D to drive 4 MOSFETS ( NTP60N06 N channel) to allow me to PWM a motor ( just a DC motor, not a stepper) in either direction.

Anyway, the L293D datasheet shows 750ns turn on and 250ns turn off, do I still need pull down resistors or is it just a good idea to have them anyway?

Other question, The NTP60N06 is a 60 volt, 60 amp N channel mosfet, has anyone seen a P channel with the same ratings?

I am aware that those are max ratings, I'm playing with 12 volts at about 10 amps ( motor stall) average 1 - amps.

Thanks people,
twenty periods of classes until the holidays, but who's counting

Andrew Cowan

First - the L239 has totenpole outputs, so you don't need any pull up/downs.

To control a motor in both directions (simply), you need both P channel and N channel FETs.

A

D n T

That was quick.

Thanks Andrew,
Thats why I asked about the P chaneel MOSFET with the same type of rating.
I will be building this thing in a LARGER format and stacking the MOSFETS so I thought it would be easier to use N and P types with similair ratings.

How long until your christmas holidays?

Last edited:

manie

To control a motor in both directions (simply), you need both P channel and N channel FETs.
Andrew: That is the norm but not the only rule. I use only N-channels to step my bi-polar in both directions (motor draw = around 1.2 A). Yes, I use an N-cannel on both high and low side of the H-bridge. It seems that as long as the current/wattage limitations of the mosfets are not exceeded they don't even get warm, not to the touch.
You just have to wire correctly and switch correctly. Just my 2p's worth...

Andrew Cowan

Manie - won't you need VSupply +10v on the high side switch? That's not possible if you are using the L239D as the MOSFET driver. It is possible to use only N channel, but not using a simple driver (hence the simply).

DnT - I had a quick look but there doesn't seem to be a corresponing P channel part for those FETs. Do you have to use that type? Christmas holidays start at the end of this week - followed by January A2-level exams... :(.

A

Dippy

Post your proposed circuit so that people can see clearly what you want to do.
Someone might be able to supply an easy solution. There must be dozens of suitable MOSFETs but it helps to see your exact schematic.
Or, for peace of mind, you could just get a TC4469 and be done with it.

Last edited: