KIT120 osc.

dietmar

Happy new Year!
I am still waiting for any help with kit 120.
Here is my problem:I am working with mac osx 10.9.5 _it looks like everything is designed for windows.
Please help(I am a real beginner in electronics and it looks like I am running out of steam)
Support from the PICAXE store would be very helpful (the info I am looking for must be there-the kit 120 was checked before shipping)

maybe I am starting to look for an alternative solution
WOMAI if there is something from you please tell me.
Thanks
Dietmar

erco

Hi Dietmar: AFAIK most Picaxe softare is Windows-based except for Axepad, which I have not tried.

Unfortunately it appears that the Windows monopoly also applies to kit 120. Excerpt below from https://picaxe.com/docs/kit120.pdf

The development of the oscilloscope was by Wolfgang Maichen and further information (including all schematics, PICAXE programs and the Windows based software to use with the oscilloscope) are available free of charge from his website at: http://www.pdamusician.com/lcscope/index.html

That link looks dead to me, unfortunately. This kit appears to be over 10 years old. Hopefully Rev-Ed or someone here can at least hook you up with the Windows scope software. On the plus side, used Windows laptops are cheap and plentiful.

papaof2

Used laptops are very cheap in the US. A Dell E6430 with 8GB RAM and Windows 10 cost me $130US delivered (Ebay).
Not a first choice for 3D CAD but more than adequate for everything else I do ;-)

AllyCat

Hi,

Yes, http://dpscope.freevar.com/ is the "archive" of the original "PCB/DPScope (-SE)" project, but compare the screenshots of the KIT120 'scope with the PCBScope/DPScope-SE :

dpscope_se_software.pngKIT120screen..png

The PCBScope/SE "screen" is 16 "squares" high, whilst the KIT120 is 20 squares high. Also the DPScope and DPScope II (2) are 20 squares high, but I think it very unlikely that the software for either of those is suitable either.

Have you tried to contact Wolfgang (Womai) as suggested HERE ? And on the topic of a non-Windows application, see what Womai said HERE . The "First rule of Software (or Computing Hardware) Purchase" is that you buy Software that will work with your available Hardware (or VIce-Versa) , don't just "hope" that they will work together. :(

I hope that either @womai or @Technical will be able to "find" the original software, but unfortunately the "bottom line" is that the KIT120 was sold at 90% Discount , probably intended for an experienced PICaxe user to recover the 28X2 chip and some other parts of the Hardware for their own project(s). The OP and any "novice" user should really have asked for advice on this forum and/or purchased the PCB Scope which is only slightly more expensive and far more suited to their requirements.

Cheers, Alan.

womai

Hello,

checking in after quite a while...

The Picaxe scope (KIT120) software is Windows based, written in Visual Basic. There might(!) be a possibility to get it to run under Mac OS using some sort of Windows emulator, but I am not really familiar with Mac OS.

Regards,

Wolfgang

dietmar

Hello,
I just got my Window Laptop .Now I have to lock for the software.Hope WOMAI or @Technical could help me with that!
When I got parts and KIT120 -I didn't even know there was e forum.What bothers me- the picaxe store claims the unit was tested before shipping?But on the other hand I guess I learned My Lesson .(Still got a DPScope V1.1-April 2013 never did anything with it.I am open for
Ideas!
Regards and Thanks for Your Help
Dietmar

westaust55

Hello Dietmar,
You are unfortunately posting on the topic of your kit120 problem in several different threads.

womai (wolfgang) has responded in this other thread:

Suggest that you keep to posting in one thread (for example this thread) and womai may be able to help you.

His suggestion was for you to provide him with your email address - via personal message on the forum. Click on the envelope icon in the toolbar at the top of each forum page to create a PM.

dietmar

Hello!
westaust55
Thanks for Your Reply.I hope I don't screw everything up on the Forum.Don't forget that I am very new in Your World.I will try My very best to learn.

erco

I hope that either @womai or @Technical will be able to "find" the original software, but unfortunately the "bottom line" is that the KIT120 was sold at 90% Discount , probably intended for an experienced PICaxe user to recover the 28X2 chip and some other parts of the Hardware for their own project(s)
Picaxe fan that I am, I just ordered a kit at that giveaway price of £14.84 with VAT, £12.37 without : https://www.picaxestore.com/kit120 Software search underway, womai quickly replied via PM that he will email it to me.

But of course the more modern and prebuilt OSC001 is only £15.59 with VAT, £12.99 without: https://www.picaxestore.com/osc001 Software available on the picaxe store site.

womai

According to erco, seems like there is a version of the KIT120 software to be found in the Editor Samples folder.

AllyCat

Hi,

Yes, a version of the 28X1 software is in a 24 kB file (dated 25 March 2009) in the PE5 download (which is still available in the "Obsolete" PICaxe Downloads section). But I haven't seen the required Windows software to run on the a host PC.

Cheers, Alan.

womai

I put all versions of the Picaxe firmware, PC Software and a zipped-up version of the full Picaxe scope webpage online, for free download:

The webpage contains all the documentation, overview and so on. Note however it is missing pictures etc. when you display the pages in your browser, because the Yahoo web design tool tries to make the saved files as unusable as possible unless you upload them directly to their (paid) web hosting service, which I no longer have. Did not have time to manually tweak the files to make it a full-functioning web page again. But all files are included in the "files" subfolder of the zip file, and pictures are included as well.

Last edited: