KiCad footprint for 3.5mm stereo serial part TC38-010

system11

I needed this for a project I'm building but couldn't find one - so I designed this by measuring the part and a test PCB that just arrived shows it was correct. You'll want to be mindful of the barrel position marked as it sets the edge of your PCB (or add a cut). Hardest thing was getting those little stud holes to line up so it can fit flush.

Perhaps it will be useful to someone in future, just add it to your custom footprint library via import.

Attachments

Technoman

Thanks for sharing.
I used several software (Eagle, Diptrace, Target, ...) and seriously think using Kicad, although It may take a little more time to master.
Today, I discover that the phone jack I am currently using (Lumberg 1503) is also known as TC 38-029. I know TC38-010 is the current standard on Picaxe board and think using it in a next future.

system11

There's definitely a learning curve between Eagle and KiCad, I struggled a lot at first. I highly recommend downloading someone elses simple KiCad project to study and try to modify, that's what helped me in the end. Key part though is it's really important to do your schematic design before trying to lay out the board.

I would not go back to the others now.

Mark.R

Hi, how do I import this file into KiCad as it looks to be a .kicad_mod rather than a .lib ect? Do I need to change the file type?

johnlong

Hi
Have you considered Design Spark PCB its free, it has a Picaxe libary all ready to to go with most of the common parts used with Picaxe. You can down load pre drawn part from most electronic suppliers via libary loader or more obscure parts draw for you for free if you can wait a day or two. Plenty of tutorial videos

system11

Hi, how do I import this file into KiCad as it looks to be a .kicad_mod rather than a .lib ect? Do I need to change the file type?
It's a footprint rather than a full library, create or select a footprint library you want to add it to, and right clicking on the name will offer 'import footprint', that's where you select the file.

Rampz

Perhaps it will be useful to someone in future, just add it to your custom footprint library via import.
Thank you System11, i have added it to my easyEDA libary, the one i was using had a couple of the plastic pins missing so i just cut them off, and yep need to be carefull how the metal ring sits