Kate syntax file anyone?

beefysteve

I use Ubuntu Linux and although AxePad works, it is a bit unstable, slow and the toolbar buttons do not display properly, so I thought I would investigate some alternatives.

Gedit is usable, although there is no syntax highlighting, but Kate seems like a better bet.
I tried the rev-ed Kate syntax file but it does not work, as it appears to be different from all the other syntax files kate uses.
I guess this is due to changes within Kate itself.

I am in the process of trying to write a syntax file but it is slow going as I know nothing about XML.
I am using the trusted method of copy,paste,edit,fail,wash,rinse,repeat.
The documents I have read mean little so far, but I am learning..... slowly!

So, if anyone might be able to point me in the direction of anything they think might help, I would be very grateful.
My main source of reference at the moment is The Kate Editor Homepage.

I am not really interested in XML as such, just enough to accomplish this one task.

Then I can get back to playing 'lectronics

Thanks in advance
Steve

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
You are possibly right that the Kate syntax file may be out of date if Kate has changed how the file needs to be formatted. The file does contain version info so would have thought Kate could sort it out but perhaps not.

Do you have a link to where the syntax formatting now required is defined and examples of a valid syntax file ( for a Basic-like language is best but any will do ) ?

The Rev-Ed Kate syntax file is in XML so, no promises but, I can take a look at it. It might only be a minor change needed.

beefysteve

WOW!

I have made a little more progress and got some of the block commands to work, but regular expressions are worse than Reverse Polish Notation!
(I didn't understand that either)

I will keep plodding for a while. I'm not ready to give up yet.

hal8000

You've probably solved this now, but there is syntax highlighting in gedit, just make sure you have the gedit plugins installed.
In KDE4 the default editor is now kwrite, and this also has a number of different schemes for highlighting that can highlight the
syntax of any basic script.

However even if you use a simple editor like vi and have configured syntax highligting, it will make your code
easier to read, screenshot below:

http://i.imgur.com/v1Ucl.png

Hope that helps.