just updated to current PE6

tony_g

ok so seeing technicals post today about the current version of PE6 i updated and then opened to start using.

to my supprise every single file i open comes up in what i presume is french,or at least something that looks partially similar.

in language options for pe6 it is set to english and i darn well know i typed them in english as the farthest my french can go is to say "sorry i dont speak french"

whats going on here?

Code:
[color=Navy]#picaxe [/color][color=Black]08m2[/color]
[color=Navy]#com 3[/color]
[color=Green]rem #no_data[/color]
[color=Blue]disconnect
disablebod[/color]

[color=Black]init:[/color]
[color=Blue]let [/color][color=Purple]dirs [/color][color=DarkCyan]= [/color][color=Navy]%00010111        [/color][color=Green];set pins 0,1,2,4 as outputs, set pins 3,5 as inputs[/color]
[color=Blue]let [/color][color=Purple]pins [/color][color=DarkCyan]= [/color][color=Navy]%00000000        [/color][color=Green];set outpins low to 0V[/color]
[color=Blue]let [/color][color=Purple]b10[/color][color=DarkCyan]=[/color][color=Navy]1                   [/color][color=Green];direction flag counter for manual switch operation[/color]
[color=Blue]let [/color][color=Purple]b9[/color][color=DarkCyan]=[/color][color=Navy]1                    [/color][color=Green];direction flag counter for 2pos operation[/color]
[color=Blue]let [/color][color=Purple]b8[/color][color=DarkCyan]=[/color][color=Navy]1                    [/color][color=Green];direction flag counter for 1pos operation[/color]

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
ok so now i copy and paste to forum it displays in english????????? now im confused
This sounds like a display font issue.

Go into Files -> Settings -> Colours / Fonts and make a note of what font is selected.

If you haven't got "Default" and "Courier New" selected then select those and then click OK.

Does that resolve the problem ?

If so; what font was selected and which OS are you using ?

tony_g

fantastic hippy, thankyou.

i have been enjoying the added program slots for my 14m2 and 20m2 and had spent alot of time improving them and when i just saw this my heart almost sank and hit the floor thinking it would mean having to spend the next week or so redoing all those files but thankfully not.

thanks for that simple and quick fix to the problem.

tony

tony_g

ooh forgot im using win xp (i know.... old,my win 7 machine died and im stuck with my old netbook for now) and the default was set to consolas

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
win xp ... consolas
There's something very odd about consolas on XP and it seems to be an XP issue. PE6 should give a warning when selecting consolas on XP and not sure why it defaulted to that when installed.

tony_g

well it certainly gave me a shock when i opened up one of my saved files lol but thanks for the solution hippy.

premelec

I tried to install new PE6 - I downloaded MS .NET framework 3.5 ran setup attached to Internet - took many minutes grinding drive - restarted xp machine - tried PE6 again - still get 'need to install framework 3.5' message - no joy on PE6 :-( Now what?

Tried download full framework 3.5 [200MB file] and installer it says needed before running it - ran both - still chokes on PE6 install asking for FW 3.5... May have to continue to enjoy PE5...

Last edited:

lewisg

May have to continue to enjoy PE5...
Indeed...

One of the pluses to Picaxe as a programming environment is PE could be quickly installed so users could be up and programming in short order. Very good for a tool aimed at beginning programmers and the education market. To me .NET bloat is the antithesis of the entire notion of compact programs running on limited hardware.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I tried to install new PE6 - I downloaded MS .NET framework 3.5 ran setup attached to Internet - took many minutes grinding drive - restarted xp machine - tried PE6 again - still get 'need to install framework 3.5' message - no joy on PE6 :-( Now what?
It should have worked and we have done extensive testing with XP. The Framework needs to be .Net 3.5.1 ( aka .Net 3.5 SP1 ) ...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=22

premelec

@lewisg - as a person who started with a computer with 1KB memory don't have smart phone and rides a bicycle I am in sympathy with your view!

@hippy Thanks that link worked ok - interestingly the previous setup file I used from MS had the same name but evidently not SP1 - sort of like a program that used to be named BAS805.... :-0 No desktop icon was placed by PE6 and it took me a while to find that... and now I have no idea how to run this editor but no doubt will learn in time - or use the old one... I suggest it come up with the 08M2 instead of 20X2 to start... not so scary... :)

premelec

Strange try at running old program in PE6:

"Syntax error on line 435 at position 1
Error: Expected #ENDREM before end of file"

I tried adding and deleting ENDs ENDREMs in vicinity of line 435 which is blank and comes after a long #REM ... #ENDREM bunch of old code at bottom of working code... error refuses to depart for syntax check or simulate functions... More mysteries... The program runs fine as is in PE5

Another clue? The line number referenced in the error message always is the next AFTER the last listed line# - in short it doesn't exist in the program listing... and in this case it's just the end of a long #REM which I would think would put it out of syntax checking range... after the #ENDREM - PE6 is a bit quirky here :-0

Last edited:

lbenson

Sure none of the "endrem"s are commented out? I ran into a similar problem. User error, in my case, as usual.

premelec

Aha... sort of... thanks for the suggestion - all the code was in same color rem'd out - but when I added a few more endrems inside the rem'd area it compiles ok - so that's new - it looks at directives inside rem'd out code - I'd call that a bug. In any case line number referred to by the error message was incorrect... on to the next item!

I remember that years ago I had a program in PE5 that had a long section of REM at end and wouldn't run until I deleted it - and some times when a line of code wouldn't work because of invisible - i.e. unshown - characters in it. Deleting and re-writing fixed those.

Last edited: