It's alive!

bpowell

Ah, that feeling when your SMT PICAXE powers right up and says, "Hello"...I hadn't built out a Proto PCB with a PICAXE on it yet...worked a treat!

And to WestAust: I ended up going with the "traditional" download circuit ... note the through-hole resistors!

Now to start tinkering!

PicaxeProto3.jpgScreenshot 2021-09-22 145259.png

MartinM57

Very nice dual-purpose board - well done! If you can find any of the other chip for sale from a reputable supplier in reasonable quantities with delivery before Sep 2022, let me know!

erco

I'm still using DIP chips and hand soldering custom boards for each project. And yes, I love the feeling when it powers up properly the first time! But I'm too impatient to open Serial Terminal and wait an eternity for the "Hello, I'm your PICAXE..." message (what the heck takes it so long to boot up?). I go straight to OPTIONS/Check Firmware Version. Love to hear that "brrrring", the sound of pass/fail.

bpowell

Very nice dual-purpose board - well done! If you can find any of the other chip for sale from a reputable supplier in reasonable quantities with delivery before Sep 2022, let me know!
Thanks MartinM57! These prototyping PCBs have served me well ... they take the ATMega (this board is geared towards the PB, but could probably be easily tweaked to support regular old 328Ps) as well as 8 or 20 PIN PIC or PICAXE .... When I use a PICAXE, I need to cut a couple of traces and run a couple of haywires to move the RX / TX on the serial port connector (top/right) to the PICAXE RX/TX which aren't the physical chips RX / TX. But, it's all fun!

bpowell

I'm still using DIP chips and hand soldering custom boards for each project. And yes, I love the feeling when it powers up properly the first time! But I'm too impatient to open Serial Terminal and wait an eternity for the "Hello, I'm your PICAXE..." message (what the heck takes it so long to boot up?). I go straight to OPTIONS/Check Firmware Version. Love to hear that "brrrring", the sound of pass/fail.
Thanks Erco! I have a prototyping PCB very similar to this one for the DIP PIC or PICAXE .... Yes ... the sound of the "recognition" of the chip is music to the ears!