Is it possible to use the camera of the following link with picaxe?

Danielpbt

Is it possible to use the camera of the following link with picaxe?
https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B073T29ZS8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2M7VRDSD2KCVS&psc=1
Hi all. I am trying to integrate a camera into a school project, and I have seen these that are sold for arduino. They have a processor that manages independently of the Picaxe. I would like to send the image to mobile devices.
I have seen in other thread other very expensive cameras for our budget (https://thepihut.com/products/pixy-1-0-vision-sensor-for-the-arduino?variant=796390889), for I have thought about these
Thanks in advance for your answers

lbenson

So far as I know, picaxe has neither the processing speed nor the memory to handle images from any camera. There are many camera choices for raspberry pi which might suit your needs.

Danielpbt

Thanks for your answer Ibenson. So, if you can not connect to Picaxe, you could try to pass the images to your mobile in another way. Should I be replacing Picaxe with Rapsberry?
I have seen a project on the Internet, of someone who works with Picaxe processors, and uses a camera. Maybe he doesnt have it included in the plate, and transmit directly to the mobile ...
Have you ever used a similar solution? I look at many things through the Internet, but I do not rest easy with any
Regards

Buzby

I think the only camera that a Picaxe can handle is the Pixy Cam ( https://pixycam.com/pixy-cmucam5 )

This camera does not provide video images to the Picaxe, but sends messages like "I see the RED BALL at X=320, Y=430"

You first need to teach it what a RED BALL looks like, then it will tell you where and when it sees one.

The camera stores a list of objects, and has a lot of clever code in it which makes robot vision a possibility for low power chips like Picaxe.

Although there is no mention of Picaxe on the website, the porting guide shows how any serial or i2c or SPI capable microcontroller could use the Pixy Cam. There is even an 'analogue pin only' mode which just reports the biggest object it can see as voltages for X and Y.
( https://docs.pixycam.com/wiki/doku.php?id=wiki:v2:porting_guide )

I've been tempted a few times to get one, but never did.

Cheers,

Buzby

Last edited:

lbenson

... I have seen a project on the Internet, of someone who works with Picaxe processors, and uses a camera.
I have posted about a camera project that uses a picaxe: https://picaxeforum.co.uk/threads/rivercam-with-picaxe-pan-tilt-control.13705/

However, the picaxe is used to control pan and tilt of the camera--it doesn't have anything to do with the images which are transmitted to the internet (I have since disabled public control of the pan and tilt).

If you were looking at another post about picaxe and a camera, could you provide the link?

I would certainly recommend the use of the Raspberry Pi for working with images from a camera.

lbenson

My Spanish isn't up to understanding what was said, but the video aspect is beyond the ability of a picaxe. A raspberry pi zero w should be able to handle the video, audio pickup, audio output, and crib-shaking.

Buzby

My Spanish is zero, but my thoughts are that the IP camera is connected by WiFi direct to the tablet to show the video, and the Picaxe is connected by Bluetooth for the buttons to control the motor etc.

It's a combination of two independant systems, but still an impressive project by a group of school age students.

Danielpbt

Hello again, and thanks for your answers.
I have found the two suggestions you have made very good, and very reasonable in terms of price.
I did not know the rapsberry pi Zero, and I thought it was a very interesting discovery.
As for the IP camera, I found one in Amazom very similar. I put the link here if you were interested. https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B07485MMZT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3FCTIUN1ROS41&psc=1
. So I found another thread in our forum, which delved into the integration of the camera (https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B073T29ZS8/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A2M7VRDSD2KCVS&psc=1) in Picaxe. I do not know if you had already read that thread, and if it seems profitable to dedicate time to that option. I did not understand at the end of that thread that they had just found a definitive solution. What do you think?
Regards

lbenson

With the raspberry pi zero, you don't need a camera which is itself wifi-enabled--just one which will plug directly into the pi camera cable socket. The pi provides the wifi. These cameras are very small, and can range in price from about $8 U.S. to $25, depending on the resolution you want and whether a fisheye lens is desirable.

Here's a shot from one of mine with a fisheye lens:
cam142.jpg
The camera you link to has a lot of pins. You'd have to figure out the cabling. Better (I would think) to get something that has already handled that aspect.

What do you want to do with your project?

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
With the raspberry pi zero, you don't need a camera which is itself wifi-enabled--just one which will plug directly into the pi camera cable socket.
There are many USB webcams which work with the Raspberry Pi including Playstation EyeToy cameras which can be had for less than $1 these days. And they provide sound as well as video.

lbenson

There are many USB webcams which work with the Raspberry Pi including Playstation EyeToy cameras which can be had for less than $1 these days. And they provide sound as well as video.
True. Any linux-ready (or pi-ready) usb camera or webcam can run off the Pi Zero when plugged into the USB OTG port (using an OTG cable). I have several of those, also. I hadn't thought about sound, but if you need that, then a USB camera is probably the way to go.

Danielpbt

[QUOTE = "lbenson, post: 323005, miembro: 34212"] Con la frambuesa pi cero, no necesita una cámara que esté habilitada para wifi, solo una que se conectará directamente a la toma de cable de la cámara pi. El pi proporciona el wifi. Estas cámaras son muy pequeñas y su precio puede variar desde alrededor de $ 8 a $ 25, dependiendo de la resolución que desee y si es deseable usar un ojo de pez.

Aquí hay una foto de uno de los míos con una lente ojo de pez:
View attachment 22485
La cámara a la que se vincula tiene muchos pines. Tendrías que averiguar el cableado. Mejor (creo) para obtener algo que ya ha manejado ese aspecto.

¿Qué quieres hacer con tu proyecto? [/ QUOTE]
Interesting about the fish eye.

The idea of the project is to design and build a humanoid with a 3D printer, which transmits the image to a mobile device, and can be controlled remotely. It is a project that I have in the institute, and that every year I intend to take it a little far. The plates that I have are the AXE 020, and the 28X2 processor. With what I have learned from all of you these days, I see that for my boards, the best thing is an IP camera. Although I also have Raspberry pi B +, I use them as small computers in the classroom, to be able to program, design, etc.Could the Raspberry also control 8 servos in a fluid way like Picaxe?

Anyway, I will use all the things you have told me to investigate them, and have them ready as ideas on other occasions.
I am tremendously grateful
regards

Last edited:

coparu67

I'm glad you like my (our) project.
And yes, it works like you say.
You can control this cam from any browser (without pluggins).

My Spanish is zero, but my thoughts are that the IP camera is connected by WiFi direct to the tablet to show the video, and the Picaxe is connected by Bluetooth for the buttons to control the motor etc.

It's a combination of two independant systems, but still an impressive project by a group of school age students.

lbenson

A wifi-enabled IP camera would work independently, and your picaxe 28x2, with a bluetooth module, could control the 8 servos. This is an ambitious project, but a very worthy one.