Installing PE 5.3.2

BillBWann

Is it possible to load the latest Programming Editor on a Win 98 computer? The Picaxe web site suggests that it is (and can even be run under Win 95) but I've been unsuccessful with Win 98.

I've run the Microsoft Installer Update (instmsia.exe) and then installed Bas805.exe which appeared to go OK but when I run it I get error 339. Again, the web site suggests that I run vcredist_x86.exe to overcome that problem but I get an error that this installation can't be installed by the windows installer and suggests that I install a Windows service pack that contains a newer version of the Windows Installer service. Looking at the Microsoft site, it says that vcredist_x86.exe is only suitable for Windows 2000 and later. Is there an equivalent that can run under Win 98 or is there some other procedure that I should follow?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Welcome to the PICAXE Forum

The official statement from Technical is at -

http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=140979&postcount=10

"We no longer actively support Windows 95/98 ... We know this is a pain but is required because of a recently discovered security flaw in Microsofts ATL headers which were used to compile the older version of this file. The new build version does not have this flaw as it is built using a later version of Microsoft's C compiler."

Last edited:

BillBWann

Thanks Hippy for your reply

Unfortunately, I still can't install vcredist_x86.exe. I did exactly as Technical suggest - uninstalled PE5.3.2 (that didn't work), checked for srcvw4.dll in any subdirectory under c:\windows (it wasn't there), rebooted and then ran vcredist_x86.exe. Unfortunately, it still came up with the same error saying that it can't be installed and I must install a windows service pack that contains a newer version of the windows installer service.

I noticed that the version of vcredist_x86.exe from Technicals link had a slightly different size compared to the original one that I previously downloaded (2.66 Mb against 2.681 Mb). Are they different? I see however that both versions say that they require Windows 2000 and later.

Was running Instmsia.exe meant to install this "newer version of the windows installer service"? I ran that again just for good measure and it again stated that it had been sucessful but I still can't get vcredist_x86.exe to run properly.

I see from technical's note that I needed to have had PE5.2.x previously operating. I can't be absolutely sure what version I had operating previously on my Win 98 laptop as i don't use it often but I would have thought it would have been that recent. I've got an old 5.2.7 version of PE - should I install that on my Win 98 laptop first and then follow Technical's instructions?

Also, technical referred to installing other "Microsoft files from post 7". Should I do that and if so, how do I access post 7?

Thanks again.

Bill

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The full thread of which Techical's response was in is ...

http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=140979#post140979

Not sure that will help though. That thread really related to people who had an earlier version of Programming Editor installed and were running into problems when upgrading.

The basic problem is that the older Programming Editors worked on Windows 95/98, and did not require any vcredist_x86.exe installation, but that is not recommended for use due to the security issues in the Microsoft ATL headers used in that version plus earlier versions don't support the latest PICAXE chips nor have the lastest Programming Editor improvements.

The later versions get around the security issues by using the latest ATL headers but that means they cannot be run under Windows 98. Trying to install the vcredist_x86.exe on 98 will get you nowhere; Programming Editor 5.3.x simply won't run under Windows 98.

As you have a copy of 5.2.7, simply install that under Windows 98. That should work with the earlier caveats; has security issues, doesn't support latest PICAXE and hasn't got the latest improvements.

The pragmatic choice is to use an old version on 98 and live with its limitations or to upgrade from 98 to use the latest Programming Editor.

Last edited:

NXTreme

What about using a program like CCleaner after uninstalling PE to clean up registry and such? I'm not sure if it would really solve your problems but I do find that running it on old computers really helps clean/speed them up and can remove lots of problems, especially after uninstalling lots of programs.

Forget I said anything, just read Hippy's post. He beat me to it :).

Last edited:

BillBWann

Thanks again Hippy for your thoughts on this - and for your thoughtful input to the many other questions that get asked in this forum. Even though this is my first question, I've derived enormous benefit & inspiration over the last couple of years from reading yours (and others) replies to the many questions that get asked - and of course Stan's Silicon Chip articles.

I'll do exactly as you suggest Hippy and use my old Win 98 laptop principally for monitoring purposes. I had been using an XP laptop continuously for just that purpose for a few days which appears to have burnt out its cooling fan so that was why I was trying to press my old Win 98 machine back into service. Actually, on that point, if anyone has a good suggestion for obtaining a detailed procedure on how to install a new cooling fan into a Toshiba TE2100, please let me know.

Thanks again all.

Bill

gengis

Bad day in Mudville

Sounds like we (those of us using old Windows) won't be buying many m2 chips.

Can we hear from anyone who has successfully installed the whole gamut of the MS merry go round and the updated software editor?

AND how serious is this security flaw; it isn't like PE talks to the internet...

Technical's solution:
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=140979&postcount=10

Links to:
www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=200B2FD9-AE1A-4A14-984D-389C36F85647&displaylang=en

Which says:
System Requirements

• Supported Operating Systems:Windows 2000;Windows 7;Windows Server 2003;Windows Server 2008;Windows Server 2008 R2;Windows Vista;Windows XP
  • Required Software:
    oWindows Installer 3.0 Windows Installer 3.1 or later is recommended.
  • Disk Space Requirements: 6 MB (x86)
One question - WTF?

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Can we hear from anyone who has successfully installed the whole gamut of the MS merry go round and the updated software editor?
The "MS merry go round" was an issue which related to upgrading Programming Editor version 5.2.x to 5.3.x primarily. Most users of the Programming Editor should have no issues in downloading BAS805.EXE and installing it as long as they are running Windows 2000 or later and they should not have to install additional files from Microsoft.

AND how serious is this security flaw; it isn't like PE talks to the internet...
This is the Microsoft Security Advisory ...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/973882.mspx

The issue AIUI is not that Programming Editor talks to the internet but that while your computer is connected to the internet the security issues could be exploited.

It is not Programming Editor itself which is at risk nor is it a risk per se but components which Programming Editor, like most Windows programs, uses. These components are installed on disk ( \Windows\System etc ) , and loaded into memory by programs which use them to interface to Windows and so on. Once in memory they can be exploited by other programs, including malicious web pages loaded via a browser.

The solution is to not have components which are vulnerable but this means that one of the components relied on by Programming Editor is incompatible with Windows 98 which makes Programming Editor incompatible with Windows 98.

NXTreme

Sounds like we (those of us using old Windows) won't be buying many m2 chips.
Or, you could install a Linux distro that would support LinAXEPad. Almost any old computer will run lighter distros like Puppy and such. However, I'm not sure that LinAXEPad will run on Puppy. Or, just install the WinAXEPad for Windows.

gengis

Could you not just use an old computer totally isolated from the 'Net?
Not if the software won't run on the operating system...

Looks like there is no solution that works for windows 98 ME.

Linux is possible - if I want to devote the time to it.

Will the reved axepad do what I want? downside?

NXTreme

There are a few downsides to the AXEPad.
  • No simulator, but if your like me and prefer to bread board if at all possible, that's not a real big problem.
  • Not quite as many wizards.
  • Not updated quite as often, although this isn't terribly important.
  • A couple bugs here and there, the one that annoys me most is that indent doesn't quite work the same as in PE.
  • Not quite as many users, responses on the forums might be a bit slower.
Those are the main problems as far as I see it but most of them aren't big problems for me.

gengis

axepad has a downside (won't work on ME)

Windows
Windows 2000 or later, including Windows XP, Windows Vista

BillBWann

It does seem to be a pity that MS can't provide a Win 98 version of vcredist_x86.exe? Would it really be that difficult? So much of this older hardware which is ideally suited to the picaxe gets tossed out because of software incompatibility.

Minifig666

Unfotunatley Microsoft gave up with all support for OSs before XP about 2006 (I think).
Perhaps if RevEd were to give us a source code then we could compile it ourselves. Then the program becomes our responsibility.

Hint Hint...

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Having our source code wouldn't help; it's an issue of third-party components.