installing AXE027 on laptop running ubuntu 12.04LTS

clucas

Hello I am trying to migrate to Ubuntu from Windows. I have installed the AXE027 cable following the instructions in the manual. However AXEpad says that it cannot open port /dev/ttyUSB0. Also I get system error messages when I start Ubunto which stop if I then # the line of instructions given. I have definitely edited rules.d correctly as I copied and pasted the text from the manual.

I would be most grateful if anyone can help me with this problem.

Thanks

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I get system error messages when I start Ubunto which stop if I then # the line of instructions given.
Not sure what instructions you are #'ing but what is the system error message you were receiving ?

I have definitely edited rules.d correctly as I copied and pasted the text from the manual.
Something changed in Ubuntu/Linux/udev and it may be necessary to change SYSF to ATTR as the change is not backwards compatible. See posts 7 and 9 here ...

http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?21996-Axepad-on-Ubuntu-12-04

clucas

Hi thanks for the reply.
Just tried to recreate system error but oddly not happening anymore.
However still not fixed main problem of LinAXEpad not working. The line of code that I put into the rules.d file is that from the manual i.e.:
SYSFS{idProduct}=="bd90", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0403", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe -q ftdi_sio product=0xbd90 vendor=0x0403"
I have managed to get LinAXEpad working using the option 1 patch i.e.:
sudo modprobe ftdi_sio vendor=0x0403 product=0xbd90
however this only works if you run LinAXEpad with sudo as the owner is root.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The line of code that I put into the rules.d file is that from the manual i.e.:
SYSFS{idProduct}=="bd90", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0403", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe -q ftdi_sio product=0xbd90 vendor=0x0403"
As per the comment and link in post 2, try replacing SYSFS with ATTR ...

ATTR{idProduct}=="bd90", ATTR{idVendor}=="0403", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe -q ftdi_sio product=0xbd90 vendor=0x0403"