infrared remote control

PMB

Why can I not get the infrain,infrain2 or irin commands to respond to the remote control borrowed from my Sony TV.
presumably it is using the Sony Protocol.?
I have tried with Picaxe 14M and 28 x2 with no success.

nick12ab

Are you SURE that it uses the same Sony protocol? Try controlling the TV with the infraout family of commands.

Also check that you're actually using the correct receiver - it's a black rectangle with a bump sticking out of the front on three legs you need, not just an IR receiving LED (two legs and in LED-style package), and even then it has to be 38KHz.

If it doesn't work after checking those, can you post your code and schematic please?

You'd get more people reading this if this was posted in the Active PICAXE Forum instead.

PMB

Thank you for your reply,I was not aware that Sony used more than one protocol.
I am using 38 KHz photo module, and the circuit as shown in the Picaxe Manual

nick12ab

Thank you for your reply,I was not aware that Sony used more than one protocol.
if they didn't it would be almost impossible to use a Sony blu-ray/DVD player on the TV as something would happen on it whenever you did something on the DVD player.

They might still only use one for TVs though. Can you post your schematic?

ADDED: I think Sony TVs have three different codes, because I remember an instruction manual for a 99p universal remote having three codes for Sony TVs and the second one worked with PICAXE.

Last edited:

westaust55

if they didn't it would be almost impossible to use a Sony blu-ray/DVD player on the TV as something would happen on it whenever you did something on the DVD player.

ADDED: I think Sony TVs have three different codes, because I remember an instruction manual for a 99p universal remote having three codes for Sony TVs and the second one worked with PICAXE.
I would venture that SONY do in fact use the same Protocol for their range of equipment.
What would change is the code/data value for the different commands.

I have in fact basically the "problem" you mention with two devices of the same make connected to a TV. Using either player remote will cause both to action on common commands such as opening/closing the disk tray. Great fun (not) when they are out of synch - one goes in as the other comes out :)

Both players have controls that will also control the various functions of the TV as well - all commonality of the protocol - just different commands.

The SONY SIRC protocol has a series of bits that include a start bit, bits for the command and bits to select the device.
But two devices of the same type will both decode the "instruction" sent by the remote.

Maybe there are some different device ID sequences for different TV's so the device ID bits in the instruction sequence may differ but the protocol would be the same.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
It appears there are three versions of SONY SIRC; 12, 15 and 20-bit. The PICAXE supports 12-bit ( 5-bit Device ID and 7-bit Command ). IROUT generates 12-bit, IRIN expects the same but I don't know how it would respond to 15 or 20-bit.

Before speculating on the problem we really need more information; program, circuit and details of what TV or remote controller being used would be handy as may a photograph of the setup.

What power supply is being used ? I've found the TSOP18 doesn't work ( well or at all ) when below 5V.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Almost all modern IR receivers, including the LED020 at techsupplies.co.uk work down to 3V or so.

PMB

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.
The detector I am using is the Rapid Electronics Cat No 55-0905.power supply is a regulated 5v one.
Tv is a Sony Bravia KDL-32S2000.
There is not much circuitry yet,just the detector circuit as shown in the picaxe manual and a picaxe 14m board which has worked well on other applications. 4 outputs connected to LEDs just to see if it works.

The real aim is to remotely control a solenoid operated uncoupling device on OO scale model railways,something Ihave already done using other control methods.
The stumbling block at the moment is getting the infra red control bit to work.

nick12ab

The detector I am using is the Rapid Electronics Cat No 55-0905.
That's the same one as Eclectic recommended so it must be right.

Tv is a Sony Bravia KDL-32S2000.
Soneone who has that TV or a similar model might be able to confirm whether the remote works. What you can try to do is analyze the signal from the remote from the infra red sensor. If you have an oscilloscope - great. If you don't, a PICAXE datalogger could be used to record a few hundred values over a second from when you press the button on the remote. You might also want to try a 99p Stores universal remote control and see if that works with the PICAXE and if it does, then it's the Sony remote to blame.

PMB

Problem solved.I followed nick12ab advice and went to the local pound shop for a universal remote .
It listed 11 codes for Sony TVs and another 19 for other Sony devices.
the first few did not work, then I found that the 5 values from 0126 to 0130 all work.
The control is very flimsy and may fall apart after a few button pushes,but you can"t complain at £1.
Many thanks to you all for your help.

nick12ab

Out of interest, which codes worked with the TV? There might be a combination that allows you to control main TV functionality AND the PICAXE project if you're dead lucky. Otherwise, you can just use the TV1 setting on the remote for the TV and TV2 for the PICAXE.

PMB

The code 0126 also works the TV,although the original TV remote did not work the picaxe.A bit strange, but I wont worry about that now that I can control a picaxe.I have,in fact invested another £1 in a spare one.

PMB

A bit more information on remote controllers.I borrowed another universal controller which has a completely different set of codes for TVs.
It has 0000 for Sony,that works with the TV,but not with picaxe. the series 0126 to 0130.will not work with either,so it appears that universal controllers are not very universal.
That is why I got a spare one while they are still available at Poundland.