Illegal command line switch used

smssms

First play with Logicator (V3 Build 3.3) and when I try to download my program to the 08M via AXE027, I get the following error:

Error - Download Failed.

Illegal command line switch used 'c:\users\[my name]'!

I've checked the paths in Help>About;
Does it matter that the temp path is on a different drive partition to Logicator (and the compiler path)?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have been tinkering and looking for a solution to no avail so far...

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Have you adjusted the temp path manually, normally there is no need to do this and the system will default to using the Windows temporary folder (which would not generally be as shown). Is this on a network?

The error message results from the folder specified not being physically there (or being there but not having read/write permissions).

smssms

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't adjusted the paths (I would like to but cannot see how to...:confused:).

This is not on a network, just a laptop where the operating system is in its own partition and I tend to install programs in the 'data' partition.

I think there may be a problem with read/write permissions in the default folder chosen, so if I cannot change the path I'll see if I can get the permissions sorted (at present, they just go back to a limited state after I change them!).

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The message:

Illegal command line switch used 'c:\users\*****'!

implies it is being confused by the space or ( character at
**** (a)\appdata as the filename is being truncated.

Can you confirm there is a space there?

smssms

The message:

Illegal command line switch used 'c:\users\*****'!

implies it is being confused by the space or ( character at
**** (a)\appdata as the filename is being truncated.

Can you confirm there is a space there?
Yes, my admin user name has a space and a set of brackets in it... Not been a problem for any other program, but do you think that is the issue here then?

papaof2

Yes, my admin user name has a space and a set of brackets in it... Not been a problem for any other program, but do you think that is the issue here then?
Windows has a long history of "letters and numbers only" and there *may* still be instances where any character other than upper/lower case letters, numbers, the dash "-" and the underscore "_" may cause problems. A user name with a space in it may need to be enclosed in double quotes "my name" to preserve the space and not have a break the name. The same applies to program names and file paths.

I always use the "intrinsically safe" character set to avoid possible problems. It's not very creative, but it always works...

John

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Yes, the space looks like the issue, it's a windows related issue where the command line filename parameter to the compiler is truncated at the space character. It can actually be easily fixed by putting the filename in speech marks within Logicator, we will upload a patch later this week to fix this.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
We're just uploading a patch on the software download page that should fix this for you.