I2C address

Anonym

Hullo!

Reading the manual "Using I2C with PICAXE", I found out that I need an I2C address to use a I2C slave device. In the datasheet of my I2C device (https://bit.ly/2SLEZdP), it sais the default I2C address is 0X27, however the picaxe I2C manual wants me to use an address in the form %10100000. Can I use 0X27? Or do I need to convert it to the binary form somehow, and if that is the case, then how?

Thank you!

inglewoodpete

Hullo!

Reading the manual "Using I2C with PICAXE", I found out that I need an I2C address to use a I2C slave device. In the datasheet of my I2C device (https://bit.ly/2SLEZdP), it sais the default I2C address is 0X27, however the picaxe I2C manual wants me to use an address in the form %10100000. Can I use 0X27? Or do I need to convert it to the binary form somehow, and if that is the case, then how?

Thank you!
Syntax requirements for the PICAXE programming environment require us to use '$' rather than '0x' as a prefix to indicate hexadecimal values.

0x27 means hexadecimal value $27 (39 decimal or %00100111 in binary). However, if you read the command description for hi2cSetUp, you will see that you need to shift the value upwards (left) by 1 binary bit (or multiply it by 2). So you will need to use the value $4E (78 decimal or %01001110).

Anonym

Syntax requirements for the PICAXE programming environment require us to use '$' rather than '0x' as a prefix to indicate hexadecimal values.

0x27 means hexadecimal value $27 (39 decimal or %00100111 in binary). However, if you read the command description for hi2cSetUp, you will see that you need to shift the value upwards (left) by 1 binary bit (or multiply it by 2). So you will need to use the value $4E (78 decimal or %01001110).
Thank you very much, this really helps a lot! However, I was planning to use the i2cslave and writei2c commands. Is the procedure different for those?

inglewoodpete

Thank you very much, this really helps a lot! However, I was planning to use the i2cslave and writei2c commands. Is the procedure different for those?
i2cslave and writei2c are very old bit-bang commands. It would be better to update to hi2cSetUp and hi2cOut commands.

Speddo

Hi.
I have had a learning curve with the PicAxe and i2c to LCD via a serial backpac on the LCD.
The slave Address may be $27 or %00100111 , but the hi2cmaster command requires the slave address to terminate in a "command" bit, so the address becomes %011001110, or a 7 bit slave address + "command" bit of 0, which means "Write to slave", a command bit of 1 means read from slave.