I suggest a new subforum: useful knowledge

Morganl

(or something like that)
As examples to what can be put there I recently saw references to documents on servos, and PICAXE speed andsize optimisation.

In the same group where there the subforum "Useful code snippets" is.

Circuit

That is a great idea that I would second. Whilst the "code snippets" and "finished projects" go someway to this end, a "useful knowledge" section could contain lot of info that one has to do deep searches for a the moment.

jims

Sounds like a good idea to me. This may be out of the realm of this FORUM, but I could use help/ideas for "packaging" my projects; and component selection. Something like the recent thread about use of sheet aluminum that is interesting and helpful. Another one that comes to mind is the discussion with the PCB SCOPE that came out at Christmas time. Jims

Fabuszka

Yes, when completing the few PICAXE projects that I have, I always have to spend time searching the forum for the useful thread about the recommended smoothing capacitors that should be included (across pins 1 & 8 on the 08M2 for example) - I'm not sure if this information has filtered into the pdf manuals. In the same format as the code snippet one, would enable users to home in on what might be useful, just from the title.

As others have said, a good idea.

geoff07

Hmm. What counts as useful? Almost every post (even the recent bizarre thread on electromagnets) is useful to sombody. I suggest time spent searching and reading the manuals, then asking focussed questions on the forum (which would be answered very quickly) would be more effective.

ZOR

People giving descriptive titles to threads is always important for others to be able to search relevant topics, and not "I have a problem, please help"

Maybe we should fill a reference number in with our threads (against a predesigned reference list, ie for steppers, for LED's, for Power and current, displays etc

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Maybe we should fill a reference number in with our threads (against a predesigned reference list, ie for steppers, for LED's, for Power and current, displays etc
When one starts a new thread there is an option to add "tags" for that thread which would seem to cater for such references and these can be specified when searching for relevant posts. I am sure that's not a complete solution but I doubt anything would be.

The "User Projects - Miscellaneous" forum might be most appropriate for things which people consider genuinely informative and useful.

When trawling the forum, one useful trick is to look through the "archive" view rather than go in through the full forum. This can give a usefully compact listing of posts -

www.picaxeforum.co.uk/archive

srnet

One of the issues of a forum specifically for 'useful knowledge' or reference forum (and it has been suggested several times before) is that stuff in there needs to be explanatory but concise, useful, meaningful and accurate.

Otherwise it just becomes another forum that will need to be read.

And which member of the forum police will ensure that's whats posted as 'useful knowledge' is in the right place, is accurate, and kept up to date ?

Dippy

Yes, absolutely.
If it's just a standard Forum/thread format then it can get cluttered with many subsequent pages of q&a and criticism and correction.
When that happens the tedium of searching is no better than the rest of the Forum.

It would need a Wiki type format - which some other Forums seem to manage OK.
Anyway, you'll get your useful section just after we get the 'Tutorial' section that was up for consideration several years ago :)

The forum policing should be OK; there were so many Old Farts who responded to that eponymous thread that we aren't short of (experienced) people who spend all day on here.