I need help with my new project board

glean

Hello. I just got my new picaxe 18 project board and need a hand. I am a total idot and have no idea what I'm doing so please forgive my stupid questions. I have been trying to figure it out, and search for answeres for hours now and can't seem to make any sence of the ones already posted.

Anyway, I seem to have the low power version of the board. On page 3 of the CHI03[1] document I see that the moter is connected strait to the 1 pin on boath + and -. When I do this My motor isn't running. The socet will light my led so I know it is getting some current, but not enuff to run the dc motor? The motor is one that comes with the Tamiya Twin Motor Gearbox. It will run directly connected to 1 or more aa batterys.

I only have 1 power suply hooked up to the proj board, with 3 AA's running it. Must I hook up two power supplys?

I'm sorry for the newbi questions, but I just can't seem to make heads or tails of the diagrams and most of the currently posted answeres seem to be very tecnical. I need something more along the lines of "plug it into this hole" I'm afraid of a mistep that will fry my controler.

Thank you for your help. :)

craig008

if i have got the right data sheet that shows the connection of the motor and buzzer connected tot the board then just below that image it says to connect a 220nf cap across the motor terminals, without this inplace it may cause the picaxe to constantly reset and there for no motor output after that i can not help
________
OG KUSH

Last edited:

BeanieBots

You won't get anything clearer than the top of page 3 of the CHI030 manual.
Check your batteries are not low.
Connect power to V2 as shown.
You will only need two supplies if you have removed the indicated resistor.
The darlington driver chip will lose about 1.2v of your supply, so the motor will not turn as fast as it would if connected directly to the battery. It may be that 4.5v - 1.2v = 3.3v is not enough.
Also, the chip can only supply about 800mA.
How much current does your motor require?

glean

Batteries are good.
With the power to v2, are you speaking of the picture on page 2? I currently have my power hooked to the other side (the two conections left of the reset button) Is this my problem?
The indicated resistor is still in place atm.
The motor will turn with just 1 AA bat when connected, so the 3.3v should be enuff (atleast to get it spinning)
The motor is rated at 3vdc and no load 200mA

I don't have the 220nf cap in place, hopeing to get it to spin without it, but maybe that's the problem.

Thanks again for all the help.

BeanieBots

The power supply connections are your problem.
Your power supply needs to be connected to V2 on the RIGHT hand side of the reset button when viewed with the reset switch at the bottom and components on top. As CLEARLY shown in the diagram.
Forget about the capacitor on the motor for now.
Once you have the motor running, if the PICAXE starts to do strange things then fit one.
Fit one eventually to save having to come back with "why does my PICAXE keep resetting whenever the motor runs?"