How to install AXEpad on Asus Eee PC 701...

Grogster

Hi all. :)

I have dabbled in Linux before today, and another one of those dinky wee Asus Eee PC's came my way today - a 701 4G model, with Xandros Linux on it from what I can tell.

I want to have a go at putting AXEpad on this machine, as if I can get it working, it would make an ideal field programmer for me.

I could always flatten it at put XP on it, but before I take that jump, I thought I would give the built-in Linux another go.

I have downloaded the linaxepad.tar.gz file from PICAXE.COM, and will put this on a flash drive, and plug that into the Eee PC.

Thing is, the add/remove software option of the Eee PC does not have any way to install new software, without being connected to the net and the archive thing, so it can do all this on-line, to make your Linux experience less painful, I guess.

However, the manual does say that you can manually put things on the machine using the command prompt, so I guess this is how I have to do it.

So, assuming that I have the gz file in the root of a flash drive plugged into the Eee PC, and that the Eee PC can see the flash drive and file, how exactly do you go about installing AXEpad from the command prompt? I have a feeling it is not as simple ad double-clicking an exe in Windoze....

Any help posted here - please remember I am NOT a Linux guru, so posting big scrolls of command-line will only confuse me, UNLESS you describe what you are trying to do at each step, if there are many steps, that is.

Thanks.
:)

EDIT: I have copied the gz file to the home folder, so it is now sitting on the Eee PC at /home/user/linaxepad.tar.gz

Last edited:

Grogster

Okey dokey, unzipped the gz to a new folder uner / and ran the exe file.

linAXEpad runs quite happily like this.
:)

All I need to know now, is how to make a shortcut to it in one of the desktop menus such as WORK.....

crypticfool

Page 7 of the AXEpad manual describes how to add a desktop icon for Xandros but not sure of how to add menu shortcut; not used Xandros nor a Linux EEEpc. Google or another search engine is probably your best bet.

http://www.picaxe.com/docs/pad001.pdf
Follow the loading instructions and then use KEdit to write code and the command line compiler to load/run your code.
LinAxePad editor crashes if you try to open files or type into edit area but all the wizards work, follow the instructions for installing USB cable and it works OK, apart from 18M2+, compiler not up to date.
I have attached two files. From command line/terminal make them exe chmod +x set.bas go.bas and run set first before plugging in your usb cable, add a line to go.bas with your file name.

Attachments