Home Lab data logger using a 40X1

saunj

This consists of 3 boxes:
The first contains signal conditioning for 7 analog inputs, 2 opto-isolated inputs, 2 ss relay outputs, 2 5V digital inputs, and two bidirectional digitals.
The analog inputs include three with range-switching, a differential and a +/- 200 mv, plus temperature.
The second box is the controller. It has a 80-char display, three control buttons, and a rotary control switch. It has a time-of-day and date clock.
The third box logs all the readings in correct engineering numbers in comma-separated format to a Secure Digital Module. I use 500 MB. No problem in running out of room!
Details are on my web site, under DAU. (click on my name and home page)

Wodo

Bro this is quite nice. If you say home lab data logger, what data are you watching ?
Also what's the chance of doing simple data logging with 'ol 08m ? Maybe a single array
(list) and sending it to a PC ?
Wodo

profmason

Speaking of datalogging with an 08M......

We had to build data loggers for high altitude balloon experiments. (Which means disposable!) With clever coding we were able to store 220 8 bit data points in an 08M. (Oh the datalogger also had to fit into a ping pong ball.)
Here is a short write up:
http://profmason.com/?p=275

The design is based on an earlier 18X datalogger described here:
http://profmason.com/?page_id=99

To finish the balloon story, the balloon flew to 93,000 feet. BUT!!!! Space is cold! The Batteries cooled down. Since the voltage output is proportional to temperature, the pixaxes shut down when the voltage dropped. When they warmed up again they restarted, overwrote all the previous data, and gave fabulous data for the back of the Van on the way home..... (The students still won a prize for the resulting paper)
We will use small resistive heaters on the batteries and more insulation for our next launch this summer......

lbenson

profmason--If you have not done so, you might consider DISABLEBOD to keep the 08M going down to a trickle.

profmason

DISABLEBOD. Very cool! I found one of your old posts that references this. I will try it with the new design. If we can avoid heating the batteries that will mean we can keep the batteries that much smaller! We are doing testing in the freezer so far, but will move to Dry Ice next.

Thanks!

saunj

Data Logger use

Bro this is quite nice. If you say home lab data logger, what data are you watching ?
Also what's the chance of doing simple data logging with 'ol 08m ? Maybe a single array
(list) and sending it to a PC ?
Wodo
I use it for general measurements. I have two programs. They are the same except the other does send to a PC using hyperterminal. I analyze the data using Excel.
I use the big chip because I chose to use all 8 output lines to drive the display. I have used an 08M for simple tasks, but you need so much serial/parallel chips that you might as well use a 14 or 18.