High Speed Photography Flash Timer

ocwo92

Inspired by the macro rail project posted here a few weeks ago, I decided I wanted to experiment a little with PICAXE processors, too.

My project is a millisecond (or at least close to that) flash delay timer for high-speed photography. For those that aren't familiar with that kind of photography, high-speed photography is the art of taking photographs of high-speed phenomena, typically a popping water-balloon or a bullet breaking an object. The setup is usually a dark room where the camera is set to "bulb," that is, the shutter is open, and the flash is fired at the moment when the balloon is popped or the bullet enters or leaves the object. Firing the flash at the right moment usually involves a sound-activated trigger placed in a position where the delay of the sound propagating from the gunfire matches the bullet's travel distance. When the microphone of the sound-activated trigger picks up noise, the trigger shorts the input of the flash unit and illuminates the subject. Changing the distance between the microphone and the sound of the noise makes it possible to time the flash delay.

But why move the microphone around when you can easily build a unit with a programmable millisecond delay? And while you're at it, why not have the unit accept a variety of other detectors, such as a broken IR or laser beam, light, etc.? Oh, and maybe have it fire an entire series of flashes with a programmable delay inbetween once it has ignored an initial series of preflashes?

That's a task for the 08M, of course. The detailed documentation may be found here. The near final timer looks like this:

Attachments

Last edited:

ocwo92

how are you controlling the 7 segments? eg counters/BCD to 7 seg, shift registers
I'm using the suggestion from one of the PICAXE manuals: the 4026 IC contains a BCD counter and a 7-segment driver in one integrated circuit. The counter may be reset to zero, and it may be clocked up to the next digit. The 7-segment is connected seamlessly to the 4026 without the need for driving transistors or current-limiting resistors, at least with my 5-volt supply.

Also, multiple 4026 ICs can be cascaded, because each 4026 provides a one-in-tenth output clock that can be used to clock the next 4026 for two or more digits.

Two 08M output pins provide a reset signal and a counter signal. The reset signal resets both 4026 ICs to zero. Each time the counter signal is pulsed, the 4026 ICs count from 0 to 99. So, to set the value of, e.g., 60, first I pulse the reset signal, then pulse the counter signal 60 times as fast as possible. It's so fast that you barely notice the display fluttering.

Last edited: