Help with PushButtons on ADC input?

OLDmarty

Hi All,

I'm looking to replace a bunch of pushbuttons on 8 bits of a port by simply using a resistor divider into 1 pin (ADC input).
This free's up a load of pins for other uses.

My drawing shows what i plan to do, but are other people using a better approach?

In my drawing, assuming NONE of the pushbuttons are pressed, then R1 will hold the ADC to the highest amount of the resistor ladder.
I will map a lookup ( or Select..Case) table so that this HIGH value is ignored or considered a 'home' position when no buttons are pressed.

Pressing any the other 4 buttons will obviously create different voltages levels going into the ADC pin.
I've used Select..Case in a similar fashion before, where i setup some 'zones' of a pot to keep it clear of the adjacent 'zone' for stable readings.

So, if the 4 buttons pressed presented readings into the ADC of say 47, 103, 151, 218, i would setup some 'zones' to become:
47 = Range of 40 to 60
103 = Range of 80 to 120
151 = Range of 140 to 160
218 = Range of 190 to 210

The zones will ensure any slight changes in resistors, or pushbutton pressure/conductivity will always give a precise result in the Select..Case table.

Am i on the right track? or should the resistor ladder be improved or done completely differently?

marks

Hi OLDmarty,
perhaps have a look at this thread which is similar to what you have come up with so far

OLDmarty

Hi OLDmarty,
perhaps have a look at this thread which is similar to what you have come up with so far
Thanks for that, geez, i'm pretty close on the resistor/button network, that's funny ;-)

techElder

OLDmarty, be sure and test for the cases where multiple/ALL buttons are pressed at the same time, because I just love to test equipment for the events that occur when I do that. I've found a few pieces of commercial equipment that the engineers forgot a thing or two. :D

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Am i on the right track?
You are. If you map your input values you can find mid-points between the results and differentiate input pushes from that -
Code:
0   40  60     80  120     140 160     190 210       255     
|    ____       _____       _____       _____          |
|---|____|-----|_____|-----|_____|-----|_____|---------|
            |           |           |           |
           70          130         175         235
Code:
Select Case adcReading
  Case < 70  : buttonPush = 1
  Case < 130 : buttonPush = 2
  Case < 175 : buttonPush = 3
  Case < 235 : buttonPush = 4
  Else       : buttonPush = 0
End Select
You might want to increase your top resistor to 2 x 1K, which will help maximise the differences between button push values.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
OLDmarty, be sure and test for the cases where multiple/ALL buttons are pressed at the same time,
I don't think that is possible with the scheme proposed. As soon as a higher button is pushed its point on the resistor ladder is pulled to 0V and buttons below are ignored.

OLDmarty

OLDmarty, be sure and test for the cases where multiple/ALL buttons are pressed at the same time, because I just love to test equipment for the events that occur when I do that. I've found a few pieces of commercial equipment that the engineers forgot a thing or two. :D
Haha, cheeky. Yep, i planned to add in combo patterns, but i thought the Select..case would just ignore any values that i haven't defined in my mapping. I will test to prove it anyway "just in case" ;-)

OLDmarty

You are. If you map your input values you can find mid-points between the results and differentiate input pushes from that -
Code:
0   40  60     80  120     140 160     190 210       255    
|    ____       _____       _____       _____          |
|---|____|-----|_____|-----|_____|-----|_____|---------|
            |           |           |           |
           70          130         175         235
Code:
Select Case adcReading
  Case < 70  : buttonPush = 1
  Case < 130 : buttonPush = 2
  Case < 175 : buttonPush = 3
  Case < 235 : buttonPush = 4
  Else       : buttonPush = 0
End Select
You might want to increase your top resistor to 2 x 1K, which will help maximise the differences between button push values.
Yep, i was thinking about making R1 either 2k2 or 4k7 during testing, but i wanted to play with what numbers and ranges i would get, so it's noted to be tested ;-)

techElder

but i thought the Select..case would just ignore any values that i haven't defined
What I would test first is multiple tapping on multiple buttons to see how fast your ADC routine converts. :D