Help with ordering stuff for POV clock

kkeliswow

Hey all

I appreciated all the helpful replies by people in this forum , really its awesome. So i need further assistance now :)

Just a little background .... im a complete noob with picaxe in general and have minimal knowledge about programming but im working on it and im learning fast;)
The tools i have at home are a few screwdrivers ... solder kit , multimeter, glue gun and thats it, i have nothing else.
I have already ordered the Picaxe-28 starters pack(For experimenting purposes and learning) http://www.techsupplies.co.uk/epages/Store.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store.TechSupplies/Products/AXE001U and im expecting it today or tomorrow .

The main idea is to get everything i need to create a POV clock and to also have the basic tools and some accessories so im not just limited to one thing or have to wait another week to proceed with another project etc . I want everything set and then work my way slowly putting things together and learning .

Eclectic gave me some nice advise and links ...so far i have in my list the following : The POV wand http://www.techsupplies.co.uk/epages/Store.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store.TechSupplies/Products/AXE135S and also a stronger chip for the wand , the 20m2 http://www.techsupplies.co.uk/epages/Store.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store.TechSupplies/Products/AXE012M2 .

If possible ... tell me the exact names (and links if you have the time) from techsupplies(or other sites that you use) so i can see them and add to cart.
I will make a relatively large order if needed .. so dont hold back on some supplies if they are extra or necessary because i need everything .... from wires to chips .. to led lights , motors etc etc .

EDIT: Please recommend some motors that will work with the wand i linked above.

Thanks alot in advance .. looking forward to hearing from you all soon :)

Aris

kkeliswow

More or less yes .... although i prefer the wand to be like the one i linked . The only thing i have ordered is the Picaxe-28 starters pack which is already assembled on a board. It includes the download cable (USB) and battery pack

Paix

More or less yes .... although i prefer the wand to be like the one i linked . The only thing i have ordered is the Picaxe-28 starters pack which is already assembled on a board. It includes the download cable (USB) and battery pack
Of some interest perhaps, is the fact that when you make a comment like that, it will soon become evident that not everyone reads all threads, and so for some the "link" reference is meaningless. Had you instead included the link, then more people would have been a little more aware of what you actually wish to achieve.

The best idea is to make a list, as has been suggested, of what you have and what you obviously need and then having made all aware of your target, ask is anyone feels that you have missed something that they have noticed.

Nice project by the way and I would like to make a large POV machine myself, but it seems unlikely that I will be able to indulge myself any time soon. Great thing for a dark garden at Christmas - monstorous maybe :)

kkeliswow

Thanks Paix ... im sorry about the bad post but im not really a forum guy . I have read a few forums in my life about various things but never actually posted anything .

My idea was to make something big in the future too when i obtain that kind of knowledge. Something like a big grey/darkish glass where you cant really see through it and have bright leds flashing inside . oh well :)

Will work on the list... thanks alot for the comment.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
To save filling the Forum with construction notes and thoughts ...
One thought for adding RTC as it's the most obvious thing for a Propeller Clock ... If the I2C pins prove awkward to repurpose on the Spacewriter or anything else; bit bang the I2C. That can either be done continuously or just the once ( or every so often ) and then poll / interrupt on the 1Hz square wave signal to increment a local copy of time.

eclectic

I totally agree with your rational logic.
And then the "however" ...

All of us have access to highly accurate clocks.

This is meant to be a "fun" project.

In the best traditions of
Emanuel Schikaneder, Tina Turner and all other OTT entertainers...............

An OTT IR "time-beamer"
might take a lot of expense, time and effort,
and for very little potential reward.

I'll start tomorrow. :)

e