Help - Downloading Error

fax

I am using Windows XP Service Pack 2 at the momewnt and it seems that I cannot upload or download the command into the IC, but instead, it says that the hardware is not connected! But the funny thing is that in my school, we are using Windows 98, and the IC workled perfectly, so I don't know what is the problem, (I am using PICAXE V 4.1.5 and PICAXE-08)Could you help me????:-((

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Work through the serial downloading checklist which is in part 1 of the manual. It must be one of the issues in this checklist.

petersz

I also have been having a programing problem on the 08 since downloading the program editor version 4.1.5. It workes fine on 4.0.9. The error is 'Serial Port Error-code 0x17C' Ive played with the comport setings but it does not seem to change the error.Ive gone back to 4.0.9 for the time being.

Any advice would be apprecited.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
There is no difference at all with any of the 'serial port downloading code' between 4.0.9 and 4.1.15
It is therefore likely that some external factor (e.g. third party software conflict,power supply etc) is affecting the situation.

fax

I have checked all the thing in the checklist but I still can not download the program into my PICAXE-08 IC at home. :(

petersz

I have tried the download on two independent computers, one a Windows 2000 Pentium 4 the other an AMD Windows 98. In both cases I get the same error when comunicating with 08s (tied two different boards, have independent power supplies etc). Also tried the new 4.1.16 with same error on both machines. The error occurs with 'Clear Hardware Memory' and 'Run' however when I removed 4.1.16 and reinstalled with 4.0.9 there is no coms problem on either computer. Both these machines are networked and have other resident software, Ill try also with a totaly clean windows rebuild. Will let you know.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I've done some experimenting and research on throwing a serial port 0x17C error, which happens to be error 380 in decimal.

For MSCOMM32, error 380 is "Invalid Property" which ties in with what some people are reporting.

The 380 error is thrown when an error is made in setting the baud rate, stop bits and parity settings, but not necessarily exclusively then ( but it's not clear where else that could occur ). Trying to use a non-existant serial port should throw a different error.

That infers that the Programming Editor is trying to set the serial port settings wrongly ( unlikely I'd have thought as they are hard-coded into the executable ), or that MSCOMM32 ( or something ) is rejecting those settings.

One possibility could be that MSCOMM32 is not being registered with the OS as an ActiveX Control properly, or it isn't being properly marked as 'licensed for run-time use', although that too should show up as a different error, but I've been unable to test this. A completely missing MSCOMM32 gives a different error to 380 in my experience.

None of this really explains why 4.0.x works and 4.1.5/4.1.6 doesn't.

I suspected it may be an XP+SP2 problem, as it works on my 98SE fine, but posts indicate problems with 98 too.

One difference between mine and other user's setups is that my MSCOMM32 came with an MS product with a developer licence, which most home users won't have.

That again doesn't explain why 4.0.x works and the latest don't, unless uninstalling removes the MSCOMM32 component and installing puts it back, and that process is happening differently in each case. Windows usually leaves no end of 'rubbish' lying about after an installation so this doesn't alwys happen, but due to my setups I'm not prepared to start experimenting for fear of stopping my own PC's from working.

Having a look at what Mscomm32.* files exist and where, with what creation dates and sizes under the different cirumstances ( 4.0.x, 4.1.5, both uninstalled ) may provide some further pointers to what's going askew.

No one seems to have indicated if this error is happening with physical or virtual ( USB, netowrked etc ) serial ports; that information would also help greatly.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
[ Deleted ]

I kept getting a 'Server Not found' / 'Could not display page error when posting, so assumed I hadn't posted, clicked Back and posted again. Ho hum.

Edited by - hippy on 11/1/2004 3:20:33 PM

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
[Deleted]

I keep getting Error 500, Internal Server Error on ...

http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe/forum/post_info.asp

Edited by - hippy on 11/1/2004 3:21:42 PM

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Don't confuse issues here.

'fax' is not having the 0x17C error message, so please don't be confused with the other error messages/theories in this thread. 'Hardware not found' is a completly different error. You should have no problems with the latest version of the software, it is more likely that there is a construction or power supply issue. Whatr type of project board have you built, what is your power supply

The other issue is most likely a serial port issue. The invalid property error 17C will normally arise when an incorrect serial port is selected (e.g. trying to use COM3 when it does not exist). Note that when you delete the software the registry 'saved' setting of the serial port may also be deleted and it will be necessary to use View>Options to select the correct serial port before download.

An incorrectly configured USB adapter could also cause this issue, as could running other software which has already opened the selected serial port.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Apologies for any confusion, I should have made clear that my comments were directed at 'petersz', whereas the problem raised by 'fax' is indeed a different issue.

I took your 29th October reply to be directed at 'petersz' - <i>&quot;There is no difference at all with any of the 'serial port downloading code' between 4.0.9 and 4.1.15 - It is therefore likely that some external factor (e.g. third party software conflict,power supply etc) is affecting the situation. </i>

It is a serial problem 'petersz' is having ( he reports it as such ), but no one seemed to have any pointers to helping him resolve what this &quot;third party software conflict&quot; or &quot;external factor&quot; could be. Having tried all manner of things myself - opening serial ports before and during Programming Editor execution, changing and corrupting the settings in the Registry, I failed to create a single 0x17C error, but plenty of other 0x0's. The PE appears to check Serial Port availability and corrects serial port configuration errors when it begins execution. As 0x17C errors didn't appear to normally arise under such circumstances for me, looking for other causes seemed the best way to go. Similar error 0x17C issues with MSCOMM32 are identified in a number of web articles, so it seemed a sensible place to start.

petersz

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys. At present its not that critical to me as 4.0.9 seems to work fine. I know of a another picaxe user localy and will try to get him to do some test on the new version. Will keep you informed. Regards.