Header Cables (NZ) - Stan?

krypton_john

Hi, I'm occasionally needing to connect peripheral devices to pcbs. Typically these devices (kepyads etc) have a single row header strip of 2.54mm spaced pins. Making up short cables with header sockets is a pain. Anyone know of a supplier of ready built header cables? Esp in NZ?

Cheers
JohnO

inglewoodpete

John, One option that I have used is the 2-row IDC connectors that accept ribbon cable. You can snip off (or pull) 1 row of pins so the socket will fit your PCB if necessary. Of course, you will only use every second conductor of the ribbon.

I have also seen a wider spaced, solid conductor cable used in discarded portable electronic devices (CD players, larger radios etc) that have digital displays or LED/button arrays. The stiff conductors often fit the 1-row 2.54mm-pitch header sockets.

-Peter

sedeap

Hi:

Sometimes I use a half of DIL socket who match with pins comb widely used in electronics and computers.

:eek:)

manuka

I can see your problem, but just how many leads do you normally have to solder? I can do say 6 with my eye closed, & combined with a IC socket to make a DIY socket would view the combo tolerably. Otherwise DSE & Jaycar have a good connector range usually- have you tried them?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
This is eaxctly what you are after, not sure where you get them in NZ though!

<A href='http://www.rapidonline.com/productinfo.aspx?tier1=Cables+%26+Connectors&amp;tier2=Connectors+-+Multipole&amp;tier3=PCB+Interconnect&amp;tier4=Ribbon+cable+jumpers&amp;moduleno=63797' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>

Michael 2727

I use the 10 pin header socket on my AXE092 (Schools Exp Board, 08M) then 90 Deg pins to
veroboard for most of my add-ons. I've even used DIL Machined Pin sockets as patch points
using fine single strand, insulated/tinned wire. (telco type wire)

Edited by - Michael 2727 on 09/07/2007 14:25:46

krypton_john

Thanks guys.

My main issue of soldering up DIY is that you end up with a messy looking result, and it gets worse if there's a fractional difference in the length of one of the cables.

I really like the idea of using ribbon idc connectors and headers and snipping off one row of pins - problem solved!

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

JohnO

Edited by - krypton_john on 09/07/2007 22:25:11