Hardware not found problem

slytom

I'm very new to robotics and have come to an impasse.

1. I'm using a picaxe 28x project board
2. The power source I'm using are 4 1.2v rechargeable batteries
3. The COM port is correctly set up.
4. When I insert the last battery (my on switch) the servos shifts to the right momentarily (never been programmed- and this is disconnected now)
5. The plug for the download cable doesn't necessarily look like its inserted all the way and there's some give (it pushes in a bit more but wont stay put)
6. I have no multimeter or LED to do the serial loopback test but, in the f8 option serial buffer input, IT FAILS TO RECEIVE THE INPUT TEXT IN OUTPUT

I literally have no idea what I'm doing. Please help.

nick12ab

When you open the terminal when an unprogrammed PICAXE is connected you will see a hello message at 4800 baud. Do you see it?

westaust55

Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

1. I'm using a picaxe 28x project board
Is this the Rev Ed AXE020 project board or a board from another supplier?

When you say:
3. The COM port is correctly set up.
How have you determined this?
Note that if you start the Programming Editor (PE) without the AXE027 USB download cable connected to the PC the PE defaults to COM0.

5. The plug for the download cable doesn't necessarily look like its inserted all the way and there's some give (it pushes in a bit more but wont stay put)
Can you post a clear photo of the board and socket with the plug inserted. Try to get a photos straight on (perpendicular) with all on a plain (eg white) background.

slytom

When you open the terminal when an unprogrammed PICAXE is connected you will see a hello message at 4800 baud. Do you see it?
No.

2."Is this the Rev Ed AXE020 project board or a board from another supplier?"

The board is from Jaktek in collaboration with letsmakerobots

3."How have you determined this?
Note that if you start the Programming Editor (PE) without the AXE027 USB download cable connected to the PC the PE defaults to COM0."

I used to receive the port error before I set it up to COM 4 which says "axe027 picaxe usb" and is available

4."Can you post a clear photo of the board and socket with the plug inserted. Try to get a photos straight on (perpendicular) with all on a plain (eg white) background."

certainly

Attachments

nick12ab

The plug certainly isn't in properly in the photo you posted and that explains why it doesn't work. It's supposed to have the larger diameter part of the download cable plug right against the ring of the same diameter on the download circuit. Try pushing harder and if that doesn't work, replace the download socket.

eclectic

The board is an AXE020
PICAXE 28 pin board.

A 3mm jackplug, as used on the
AXE027
should fit perfectly.

Please use a magnifying lens
and check inside the socket.

e

slytom

Okay, thanks guys for identifying the issue. If I press the plug any hard I'm afraid it will break it. I'm not familiar with how to replace the download socket. At all.

IMG-20121028-00270.jpg

EDIT: Holy God. I apologize. I just needed to press harder (in my defense it felt too fragile for that to be the case)

Last edited: