"Hardware not found on COM5"

Mel Sharpe

Hi.

I have been running Picaxe Editor 6 on XP, using the AXE 027 USB download cable to 20M2+ and 08M2+ chips successfully for a month plus.

However, I am now getting a “Hardware not found on COM5” error message, first on different 08M2 chips and now on 20M2+ chips, all on Picaxe Revolution’s own project boards which have worked perfectly in the past.

Even so I have checked all joints and even replaced the 100nF cap. and the stereo socket on one of the boards, just in case; no improvement.

COM5 was the correct and recognised, by the Editor, port.

A brand new 20M2+ board did program for a while, but that too has now stopped.

The cable checks out fine on the loop back and voltage tests.

I don’t know if the following are relevant, but:
1. The last successful programming involved the use of “disconnect” to make C.5 serial on an 08M2 an output.
Hard reset is not the answer as the error message/ stop appears before the loading symbols.

2. The project I’m working on requires a number of timed intervals (for - next loops) adding up to multiples of 1/5/10/ 22 etc. minutes, between outputs to LEDs and relays.

I have already tried completely removing and reloading the Editor 6 and cable driver, linked to a different COM port, but still get the “Hardware not found on COM X”

Thanks in advance for any help.
Mel S

Goeytex

1) Unplug the AXE027 stereo connector from the dev board
2) Plug the AXE027 into a USB port on the PC
3) Open Device Manager > Ports Com & LPT

What PORT is the AXE027 assigned to ? Com5 ?

If you have lots of devices connected to USB unplug all except the Mouse/Keyboard and AXE027
Reboot the PC and Try again. You may need to do a hard reset depending upon your code.

With device Manager open and the AXE027 shown in PORTS .... Plug the stereo plug into the jack
Does the AXE027 Com port disappear ? This would indicate a short somewhere.

There could be a Windows enumeration problem/conflict if you have recently added some other USB devices.

-------- Disregard most of the above ---------

Hardware not Found means it did not detect a Picaxe. The AX027 seems fine.

Check the voltage between Picaxe +V and 0V pins. Is it 5 volts ?
Are doing the hard reset properly ?
Make sure the stereo connector is plugged all the way in. Push it in hard.

Last edited:

AllyCat

Hi,
1. The last successful programming involved the use of “disconnect” to make C.5 serial on an 08M2 an output.
Hard reset is not the answer as the error message/ stop appears before the loading symbols.
The most likely cause is that you are NOT applying (or you misunderstand) the Hard Reset Procedure correctly. Re-read the instructions very carefully. Also, "Disconnect" does NOT (and cannot) make c.5 an output, it only converts the Programming input into a digital Input which is specifically intended to "ignore" the Programming command/procedure.

The Second most common cause is a low or weak power supply, so check (or change) the battery power supply and/or all connections on the PICaxe board(s).

It's rarely worthwhile to re-install the Program Editor, but it can be worthwhile to install PE5 (still available from the Obsolete Downloads section) that can be installed in addition to PE6, and IMHO has a more intuitive Programming Interface. Finally, you might need to look at the USB/Serial adapter installation, since XP really is rather an "old" Operating System now (but can still show other Operating Systems how things should be done ;) ).

Cheers, Alan.

erco

Do you have several different boards to try, hopefully a new board with no circuitry attached.

What hardware/circuitry do you have connected to C.0 or C.5? Photo please.

inglewoodpete

If you need to diagnose the download connections to the next level...
  1. Using an LED and a series resistor of around 330 ohms, connect (solder or clip-lead) the resistor to the LED's anode.
  2. Connect the LED's cathode to 0v/Gnd of the PICAXE's board (cathode has a flat moulding on the side of the LED).
  3. Using the other (open) end of the resistor, touch it on the PICAXE's +5v/VDD pin - the LED should light.
  4. Next, hold the open end of the resistor firmly on the SerIn pin of the PICAXE and attempt a download*. The LED should flash.
  5. Then, hold the open end of the resistor firmly on the SerOut pin of the PICAXE and attempt a download*. The LED should flicker.
  6. Report back to us.
* Note: If you need to use the "hard reset" method the start a download, due to some code that was previously downloaded affecting fresh downloads (eg. is the chip already contains code with a 'Disconnect' command), you would need to power the PICAXE down/off, before starting the download and then reconnecting the PICAXE power (Ie "Hard Reset").

Last edited:

Mel Sharpe

Hi,

The most likely cause is that you are NOT applying (or you misunderstand) the Hard Reset Procedure correctly. Re-read the instructions very carefully. Also, "Disconnect" does NOT (and cannot) make c.5 an output, it only converts the Programming input into a digital Input which is specifically intended to "ignore" the Programming command/procedure.

Cheers, Alan.
Hi,
Many thanks,
BTW, my mistake about the C.5 I should have typed "Input", which is what I'm using for.

Doing a "Hard Reset" does seem to have worked on all 4 of the boards with which I was having problems .

However, it did not work quite in the way described in the manual; which says:

The manual says:
1) Disconnect the power supply
2) Wait.....30 seconds.....
3) Click the PICAXE>Program menu to start a download.
4) Wait until the progress-bar appears on screen.
5) Reconnect the power supply.

In my case the progress-bar never appeared, just the "Hardware not found........" message.

What did work was to Click "Program" and immediately reconnect power regardless.

Again Many Thanks

Mel S

Mel Sharpe

Hi, and thanks for all of the guidance,

Doing a "Hard Reset" now seems to have worked on all 4 of the boards with which I was having problems .

However, not quite in the way described in the manual; which says:

The manual says:
1) Disconnect the power supply
2) Wait.....30 seconds.....
3) Click the PICAXE>Program menu to start a download.
4) Wait until the progress-bar appears on screen.
5) Reconnect the power supply.

In my case the progress-bar never appeared, just the "Hardware not found........" message.

What did work was to Click "Program" and immediately reconnect power regardless.

Again Many Thanks

Mel S

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
That is the essence of Hard Reset.

On PE5 the "Progress Bar" was a pop-up frame which was hard to miss. On PE6 it is a status and progress display at the bottom right of the screen. Upon clicking download it should show "Searching for hardware on COMx" then switch to a traditional progress bar as download proceeds.

AllyCat

Hi,

Thanks for the update. Yes, I think the manual was probably written for PE5 where you do get a clear "Pop-Up" in the middle of the screen. With PE6 I think you just get a tiny prompt at the bottom-right of the screen, unless you select the "Compiler" tab in the Workspace Explorer (usually top-left).

A quick Search with "Titles only" selected, found 55 threads for "Hardware Not Found" (since 2003) ;) , so my personal recommendations are:

For Novices: Do NOT Use DISCONNECT or SERRXD (which generates a "hidden" DISCONNECT) in you programs.

When you really need to use the Programing input pin as an input (there are other methods for expanding the number of inputs) and fully understand the purpose of the DISCONNECT instruction AND how to reliably perform the Hard Reset Procedure: Then (still) incorporate a RECONNECT into the active flow of your program. If you can't work out how to do this, then you probably still shouldn't be using the DISCONNECT. ;)

Occasionally, you might still need to Use the Hard Reset procedure, and I would add one more instruction:

"Remove the power to the PICaxe and Check that the supply Rail really is zero". "Phantom Powering" can occasionally prevent the PICaxe resetting, so check with a multimeter that the Vdd pin really is zero (relative to Earth, Vss), OR ensure that there is a relatively low resistance across Vdd to Vss (to overcome any phantom power from any "unexpected" source). Personally, I sometimes short-circuit these pins with a screwdriver or pliers when performing the Hard Reset, but realise that perhaps this is not a wise suggestion to a novice. :) Note that an Unlit LED across the supply rail is NOT sufficient to guarantee that the PICaxe will reset correctly.

Cheers, Alan.