Happy Hippy's Terminal

piclt

Tried your terminal out and it works wonderfully well. I typed an few hundred codes (decimal, comma separated) in windows notepad, then copied this to clipboard, opened your terminal, clicked in bottom textbox, ctrl V to paste the codes ready to send. Clicked # to send as Hex and all the codes whizzed up the screen and out the comms line. I had the Tx of my device connected to Rx of PC port and was monitoring the port, I got back a series of 13Hex and 11Hex ie Xoff and Xon but the comms did not respond to it. As a result my device did not respond to all the data. If sending this with the Picaxe I simply put pauses in the program and this slows it down.
Question -- Is flow control a function of the comms port itself or does it need to be programmed into the terminal???. I had the properties of the comms port on the PC set to Xon Xoff flowcontrol but it did not seem to matter ?? I have a CTS and RTS pin on the device I was talking to, which I can monitor using a Picaxe and control the Picaxe sending that way. Does your terminal respond to CTS or RTS.??
Also a few more lines in the bottom text box would be helpful for editing long sequences of codes. Allow you to see more.
But all in all a very good terminal and very simple to send Hex codes...........

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The Terminal Emulator completely ignores flow-control ( hardware and software ) and overrides any Windows settings.

I could add flow-control, but that would be moving away from it being so simple to use with the PICAXE. I'll think on that. What I don't want to do is make it as hard to set up and use as HyperTerm etc for inexperienced users, so it's a bit of balancing act, but I'm sure I can come up with a workable and not too inconvenient compromise.

Adding pauses between transmitted characters is something I'm already looking at, and I have an idea for a larger pop-up text area to enter codes to send into.