H-Bridge for 12V

erco

Needed an H-bridge for a small 12V motor but my favorite cheapie MX1508 H-bridge is only rated for 10V, so I grabbed an L9110S. Per info at https://arduinodiy.wordpress.com/2019/11/02/mx1508-vs-l9110s-vs-l293-motordriver-board/, it appeared to be up to the task since it mentions 12V use with logic-level signals: "That means that if you use 12 Volt DC for the motor and a 3v3 microprocessor to control the motor, on a LOW level there will be possibly flowing 1.2 mA into the uC pin."

Unfortunately the L9110 module got quite hot when 5V signals were applied, even without any motor connected. A second module behaved the same, so I moved on the TB6612 also mentioned in that article, which has separate inputs for motor (Vm) and Vdd. I had never tried these, but I had a few a couple tucked away (being a hoarder has advantages) and I'm pleased to say that it worked perfectly the first time. Erco-recommended, grab a few for your bench for a rainy day.

I despise L298 H-bridges, they are so inefficient. IMO all of these much smaller modules are better, and their current ratings are impressive for their size. Also all are dual H-bridges, and available for a buck or so if you shop around.

L9110=800mA, TB6612=1200mA, MX1508=1500mA.

Attachments

Bill.b

I use the LM298N for most of my robot and other motor applications .
With 36v and 2Amp capacity and the the ability to use PWM control of the motors. Also an internal 5V supply is very handy.24869

Bill

erco

I use the LM298N for most of my robot and other motor applications .
With 36v and 2Amp capacity and the the ability to use PWM control of the motors. Also an internal 5V supply is very handy.

Bill
Those are bulletproof for large robots and the only choice for higher voltages, where their voltage drop is less noticeable. Fortunately also quite cheap, they often sell for less than the US value of the heat sink. :)

tmfkam

I've been using the L6206. Works from 8V to 50V, dual H-Bridge available in a Dil or SMD package and can be driven by PWM. It can also be paralleled for greater current capacity. DMOS output devices gives high current capability with low voltage drop. Integrated diodes and can very effectively brake the motor if needed. Not as cheap as the LM298N, but no heatsink may make it better value overall?