Greyed out Syntax Check on minimized ribbon - Win10

dgc188

Is it me (or this laptop) or has the latest Windows 10 updates scuppered the Syntax Check button (next to Run) with the Ribbon minimized (now greyed out), also greyed out on the Home tab (full ribbon).
Yet with the full ribbon, the Syntax Check is there, not greyed out and works ok on the Simulate tab. I've tried restarting the program with no change, also restarted the laptop, again no change.

Picaxe 6.1.0.0. on Windows 10 Pro, up to date with:
cumulative update KB 3415384 &
security update KB 4464566 also
.net framework 3.5 & 4.8 (if they affect Picaxe) KB 4514359

Recently we've heard so much about MS and screwed up updates causing programs to fail and I'm wondering if this is another consequence of duff updates from them.

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I would doubt that it is a Windows update which has affected things but stranger things have happened.

The most common cause of Syntax Check being greyed-out is because something other than a .bas file is being edited, for example a .txt or .basinc file.

If that's not the cause it could be that PE6 has got itself somehow confused and we would have to investigate that.

techElder

I believe that I've asked about this same situation in the PE section of the forum. It happens to me all the time with Win7. I just use the other button.

dgc188

Thanks Hippy

Sorry for the delay is responding but other things have cropped up - don't they always.

I've checked the file being edited - certainly a .bas file. Same situation if other .bas files are being selected/worked on.

I do have a number of .bas files (5) open in PE6 as well as a .txt file for recording the latest date/time saved of these .bas files.

The .txt file was closed - no change in the greyed out button - PE6 was then closed & re-opened (now minus the .txt file) and lo and behold, the syntax button on the quick access toolbar is no longer greyed out. How strange.

But a cure/workaround - or use the syntax buttons elsewhere..

Re-open the .txt file and the button is immediately greyed out again. It takes a restart of PE6 (once the .txt files has been shut down) to bring the button back to life.

Surely, as there is an option to generate and save a .txt file, this must be a problem with v.6.1.0.0 (maybe goes back further than this version) that will grey out the syntax button on the quick access toolbar but not elsewhere (on the home and simulate tabs).

Interesting to note though.

Dave

Last edited: