Gps Ls-40eb-3v

crodrigues

Hi,

I've a GSP Modem LS-40EB-3V and i would like to connect it to Picaxe 40X. First I would like to connect this GPs Modem to a serial port. Does anyone have a photo or instructions how to wiring the GPS with the Picaxe or serial input to PC?

Regards,
Carlos Rodrigues

lanternfish

Hi,

I've a GSP Modem LS-40EB-3V and i would like to connect it to Picaxe 40X. First I would like to connect this GPs Modem to a serial port. Does anyone have a photo or instructions how to wiring the GPS with the Picaxe or serial input to PC?

Regards,
Carlos Rodrigues
Hi Carlos

You could use a MAX3232 RS232 transceiver. This uses a 3V supply like the GPS Modem. If you google MAX3232 you will find a datasheet that will help design the circuit.

To connect to the 40X you will then need another MAX3232 (it can be used on a 5V supply) or a MAX232.

It will be far easier to interface the GPS Modem to a 3V PICAXE.

Hope this helps

crodrigues

Gsp Ls-40eb

Hi,

Thanks. Do I need to buy a MAX3232 chip and do all the connections? Isn't there a cable already to buy?

Regards,
Carlos

lanternfish

Hi,

Thanks. Do I need to buy a MAX3232 chip and do all the connections? Isn't there a cable already to buy?

Regards,
Carlos
Hi carlos.

I may have got a bit confused with what you are after.

The GPS modem can be connected directly to a PICAXE, though at 3V a level shifting interface will be required unless the PICAXE is also a 3V device.

This issue has been discussed a number of times in the forum so if you do a quick forum search you should find the information you are after.

I notice from the GPS data sheet that it has a 1PPS output. I used this output from a nother gps unit to good effect with a 28X1 and the hserin buffer to let me know when a valid NMEA sentence had been transmitted from the gps unit.

Cheers

crodrigues

Gsp Ls40-eb

I'm sorry but i really can't find anything explaining how to make the connections from this popular GPS to the PICAXE 40X2.

I don't undersant how come a very popular problem still doesn't have a reliable and easy document explaining how to do it? I'm sure it's easy, but I can't achive a simple operation like connect it to the PICAXE 40X2!!!!

Why do I need to use MAX3232? How to use it? I'm sure there is anyone with this GPS in use? Pictures, schemas, photos? Isn't there a cable for this? Does everybody need to make such a complex connections whenever need to use a GPS on a robot or similar project? Nothing?

Any help would be cool.

Carlos Rodrigues

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
@ crodrigues : The best documentation for connecting GPS-LS40B-3V to a PICAXE is probably in AXE210.PDF. This document is for a PICAXE project board for an 18-pin PICAXE and XBee or GPS-LS40B-3V modules.

This document can be accessed from the Programming Editor menu, Help -> PICAXE-18 datasheets -> PICAXE Connect (AXE210).

Page 3 shows how to connect the GPS-LS40B-3V directly to a PICAXE. This is shown for an 18X but the same principles will apply for any other PICAXE. You may not need GPS Data In 2 connection, that depends on application.

Page 2 shows a MAX3232 interface to connect the GPS-LS40B-3V to a PC serial port.

The easiest way to connect the GPS-LS40B-3V to a PC is with an AXE210 board with MAX3232 fitted and an AXE027 or AXE026 serial cable plus you will need a suitable PSU.

The easiest way to connect the GPS-LS40B-3V to an 18-pin PICAXE is the AXE210 board with an 18-pin PICAXE fitted, plus PSU. You will need an AXE027 or AXE026 cable for programming the PICAXE.

For non 18-pin PICAXE one solution is to use the AXE210 as for the 18-pin PICAXE, do not fit a PICAXE but take flying leads from the AXE210 to the actual PICAXE board you are using. Alternatively you can build an interface board or put the interface on your own PICAXE board which replicates the AXE210 wiring.

If you are not familiar with PICAXE or electronics, the best course may be to use the AXE210 with an 18-pin PICAXE, get familiar with it and its operation, then attach to a PICAXE 40X2 later.

The GPS-LS40B-3V is a module designed to be used as a sub-assembly within projects with connections made on project boards and PCB's as required, and would not normally be used with a cable. To use with a cable will require a board to mount the GPS-LS40B-3V on and connect cable to, and the AXE210 is one way to achieve this. You can build your own interfacing board if you wish.