GPS choice GPS010 or GPS001 and AXE211

StigOfTheDump

Hi

I am going to buy a GPS module. Which is best / simplest?
Both are similarly priced but looking at forum post dates the GPS010 looks to be newer.

The GPS010 datasheet references AXE211 connect board but I can't find it on either the forum or picaxestore.com. Is this a future product or a misprint? Is the AXE210 suitable for GPS010?

Stig

neiltechspec

Search eBay for ublox NEO-6 modules. Really cheap and pretty much the same as the GPS010 except the NEO-6 includes a Flash chip for keeping settings.

I run mine @ 9600 Baud with 16Mhz PICAXE clock capturing GPRMC & GPZDA messages (all others turned off).

I also have 2 old "junk box" Haicom 203E modules configured to output @ 9600 Baud.

Neil.

srnet

Rather depends on what you want to do with it ?

Some are lighter than others, some are easy to use, some harder, some work at high altitude some do not, some come with built in antennas (heavy) some do not, some are more sensitive than others, and some are better suited to getting occasional fixes and some better for continuous operation.

One thing I would do from the start, is to use one of the PIXCAXE X2s, these have background serial receive and are thus not limited in the speed they operate at such as would be the case with an M2. One GPS module I have came preset to 38400baud, it works just fine with an X2, as you would expect.

srnet

Search eBay for ublox NEO-6 modules. Really cheap and pretty much the same as the GPS010 except the NEO-6 includes a Flash chip for keeping settings.
Some of the versions of Ublox 6 GPS come with FLASH, for firmware upgrade and storing settings, but some do not, which is why the hardware manual describes the addition of a I2C EEPROM for storing settings.

These are the version of Ublox 6 for which you can download a Firmware upgrade;

http://www.u-blox.com/en/firmware/gps-modules-firmware/u-blox-6-firmware-update.html

Much the same with the Ublox 7, as far as I know the M version does not have FLASH whilst the N version does.

These are the version of Ublox 7 for which you can download a Firmware upgrade;

http://www.u-blox.com/en/firmware/gps-modules-firmware/u-blox-7-firmware-update.html

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
GPS010.

The GPS010 datasheet references AXE211 connect board but I can't find it on either the forum or picaxestore.com. Is this a future product or a misprint?
This is a potential future product.

Is the AXE210 suitable for GPS010?
Not really. Any PICAXE board could be modified for use with the GPS010 but the AXE210 is not designed for GPS010 connection.

StigOfTheDump

Thanks guys,

I will get the GPS010 to learn with and then for future projects might try an ebay alternative. I have some 28X2 shield kits lying about which should suit with the built in 3.3v reg. I don't really have a use for it, it's just to learn on.

Stig