.GIF / .BMP Schematic Editor

Michael 2727

If you don't own any schematic editor tools or
just want something for a simple, quick drawing,
give this a go. Library of common components.
(you could even make your own custom parts :))
This may save some forum space using .gif files.

You can't make huge drawings, but it may be enough.

Attachments

Last edited:

slurp

Where did you find this, or have you just knocked it up?

The next one is gif / bmp pcb low-tec layout tool ;)

regards,
colin

Michael 2727

Knocked it up, I was bored.
You or anyone else can add to it if you like.
PCBs are a little harder, and I'm rather lazy :)
I have Autotrax anyway.

Tom2000

Eagle is free and comprehensive. I'm very happy with it, now that I'm learning how to use it.

For quick sketches, and even some not-so-quick sketches, the drawing package in MS Word and Excel works very well.

(Like you, I've also been building a library of schematic symbols for Word/Excel draw.)

Tom

KMoffett

Tom

I've been using ExpressPCB (also free) for a while to produce lots of small PCBs through their mini-board service. I really like the looks of their schematics, and it's very easy to create any new component. I think I'd use it for that alone. But, I also use the PCB layout function to layout one-off prototypes that I actually do on perf-board with point-to-point hand wiring. The netlist check helps me catch errors before I do the hand wiring.

I tried Eagle some time back, but got frusrtrated with what felt like a confusing user interface. I've heard that it tends to have longer learning curve. The autorouter was OK, but for small boards I felt I was doing better. I'll probably try it again as my needs change.

Ken

Tom2000

Ken,

Odd you should mention ExpressPCB. I just completed my first-ever PCB design with it, and sent it off this morning to have some miniboards fabbed.

After working with Eagle, I miss the autorouter. :) I'm definitely not a PCB artist. But it got the job done, and the price is right for the boards. (Actually, the price is outrageous, but Express is less outrageous than anyone else I could find in quantity 3.)

I'd sure appreciate better error checking in ExpressPCB while laying out a board. It's nice that they highlight net terminals for you, but it would be even nicer if they would highlight all traces connected to a selected net. And a virtual ohmmeter would be a wonderful feature!

That unassisted manual layout got very tedious, and my eyes were crossing by the time I'd finished my manual error checking.

There's a pretty good Eagle tutorial on the Sparkfun site. That (and the Eagle Quick Start Guide and User's Manual) have helped a lot. But you're right. There's a learning curve...

I had to create one custom component for my ExpressPCB project and yes, you're right. It's much easier than creating them in Eagle. (I've created quite a few in Eagle by now...)

Thanks for the chance to compare notes.

Tom

Attachments

KMoffett

Tom,

Almost everything I do PCB'wise fits on their mini-boards. Often smaller, so I panelize. If I have a little extra space I'll tuck in a little Picaxe project board. See attachments. This is sort of a minimum configuration. On those, the power supply section is used or jumpered-out as needed. On the upper one I added a small breadboard section. By the way, since ExpressPCB puts some constraints on what you can print, I printed these to a "PDF printer", copied the images to an old PSP program(ver 3.11), edited, and saved as JPG's. That way you can print top traces, bottom traces, components, or any combo. And, can eliminate the border and resize the schematic.

Ken

Attachments

Tom2000

That's cool, Ken. Looks very good.

When you're putting multiple projects on one miniboard, how do you cut them up? I use a paper cutter to slice up raw circuit board stock, but I don't think it's precise enough to de-panelize circuit boards.

TIA,

Tom

KMoffett

Tom,

I have a sheetmetal corner-notcher that handles 12GA aluminum...think 6" paper cutter on steroids. I hate to use it on glass PCBs, but I don't do it very often. I've also used a Dremel with the fine cutoff blades to score or cut through the PCB. When I panelize I also place very narrow traces on the top layer to mark where I want to cut.

Ken

Tom2000

Thanks, Ken. I've got a Dremel tool too, but I'm a lot less precise with it than I am with the paper cutter. But I think, next opportunity, I'll give it a try.

Tom

lbenson

Ken,

Would you be willing to share your picaxe custom components for ExpressPCB? I'm new to PCB design, and so would like to see good practice (and not re-invent any wheels). I would also be happy to add any I might make to a common library.

Lance

KMoffett

Lance,

I'd be happy to provide them here but the forum will not accept them as attachments. I could email them, but don't have your address. Does anyone know if this forum has a place to store files...other than the ones OK'ed as attachments?

Ken

Michael 2727

I have changed the original GIF and added a second one.
I found that XP Paint tries to "dither" the format when
changing from BMP to GIF, the files work best if edited
as BMP then use another application to convert it back
to GIF format before posting into here. I use IrfanView.
Hit the F5 key or refresh button on your browser if you
only see a single attachment on the original post.

Tom2000

I received my boards from ExpressPCB today.

Ordered on Tuesday, received on Thursday. I now understand the "Express" in ExpressPCB.

Wow!

Tom